I thought I'd share my findings on my quest to upgrade an old world (0.5.5.3) to the current version (5.6). Please note that this is not recommended by the Eco Dev's, and is not supported by any devs! Please do not bug them for any support on how to convert your old games to current version. This is unsupported, and was strictly for my amusement.
I received the email yesterday about the 5.6 release, and I asked on Discord if there was any issues with upgrading your old world to current version. Pam mentioned that..
Frenchy its recommended that you create a fresh world
if you want to try and use a 5.5 world you can but you will lose everything in in tables and chests etc and it might have other issues. couple of people have done it - but said they had to edit many files to get it to work right but its up to you.
the devs do recommend that you start a fresh world
its the change to linked inventories that is the problematical change
So of course, I had to try to convert my old world to new. Wifey and I stuck on version 0.5.5.3 at the time as we found some of the bugs at the time didn't work for us, so we stuck to 5.5.3 instead of jumping to 5.5.4.
I won't bore everyone with my narrowing down the problem, and leave you with the notes that worked me. I'll post an update later after playing a few hours with wifey to let you know how it played out, but at least I was able to get the console loaded, with no errors, and a successful "Converting World" message.
Steps I Took:
- Extract a fresh copy of your 0.5.6 Server as usual.
- Create a "Storage" folder in your 0.5.6 Eco Server folder
- Copy your Game.eco from your 0.5.5.3 Storage folder to the newly created storage folder for 0.5.6
- I associated .eco files with Winrar (Game.eco is a zip file), so I opened Game.eco with Winrar to view the contents. As noted by Pam, it's not suggested to change your file association as other .ECO files are text files. I associated the extension as it was convenient to narrow down the offending object, I will be removing said association when done.
- Browse to the "Objects" folder, and I deleted the following,
- All "Powered Cart" entries (Example: Powered Cart-ec326c56bb6340859f118f8cff364d2f)
- All "Wood Cart" entries (Example: Wood Cart-f1c0e11b2f0c46ffb30b3cfa9d318962)
- Close Winrar, and launch the Server.
After isolating the source of the error message, looks like carts were causing my issue. By removing all Powered and Wood Carts seem to fix my issue, now on to other testing to see what else broke. I hope this was informative. **Again, as mentioned above, this is not supported by the Dev's, They will always recommend starting a fresh game between versions. **