How to set up eco server / Quick Guide (Work in progress Guide!)

• SLG Admin

Moved to the Wiki now! this here is not getting updated anymore
    https://eco.gamepedia.com/Setting_up_a_server

Server 1.PNG

Ok, here is a quick start guide on how to set up your Eco Server.
    Right now i am using a non feature complete pre alpha version, and your version might be very different. i will try to keep this post updated.

it seems there is a build missing ExportedMods folder in the mods folder .. this might create issue when joining a world not loading for the client .. manual creating it might fix the issue

• First of all Eco Server Default ports are:
      3000 for the client
      3001 For The Web interface ( is used in voting for laws and so on )
    • you can change the default ports under the network tab and then select the Config tab
    • There is a new setting under network / config called Public server. You need to set this value to true if you want your alpha 4 ++ server shown in the server browser

When you opened all the ports in your router and firewall you can proceed to start the server exe.
    You can go here and check how to portforward your router portforward.com
    You will be then meet with a console status window ( don't close this one or your server shuts down)

• your folder structure should look like this : Main Folder /
      Builds - here you can find your server exe
      Configs - here are all your configs in a json text format
      Logs - here are some server logs
      Mods - here you can install your mods
      Storage - here the world data and user data is saved .. if you want to reset your World and user data just delete all content in here
      WebClient - here are the files for the Law system web server stored

Server 2.PNG

if you are meet with the error message on start up as shown above you server has insufficient rights and cant host the web ui.
    you can easily fix that by running the server as Administrator.

Server 3.PNG

After the initial core has loaded you will get a second window. Her you can configure your server and can see the status of your server.
    It will take some time for the world to generate. after this window has loaded. but you can follow the progress here.

Server 4.PNG

Under the tab World Generator you can change world size, seed and many other options on how your world will be generated. You can easily regenerate your world by going to "World" menu and regenerate the world ( This will not affect players and other placed objects like doors) or you can also stop the server and delete the content in your "storage" folder that is with your server folder.

Server 5.PNG

The UserManager Window tab lets you set a white list or blacklist users by there name.

Update!!! There is a new setting under network / config called Public server. You need to set this value to true if you want your alpha 4 ++ server shown in the server browser

Update2 If you have slow loading time ( serialization taking several minutes after 75% ) you can try to update .net this should resolve the issue https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2015/11/30/net-framework-4-6-1-is-now-available/

Update3 i added a new post with specifics on setting up the network part http://ecoforum.strangeloopgames.com/topic/1150/eco-network-troubleshooting-guide

hope this small quick guide helps to set up your first server.

If you like to correct me or want to help me enhance this little guide please just pm me =)

• SLG Admin

Nice guide, thanks for posting this!

• SLG Admin

updated with one new important setting so your alpha 4 server will show up in the server browser

• @NoBlackThunder For the ports to forward, maybe I am missing it in the guide but... are they TCP, UDP, or TCP/UDP?

Otherwise great guide.

• Nice guide but where do i download the server files?

• SLG Admin

@SirusDaggani TCP only at the moment.

• what about issue if you have run ECOServer.exe and it keeps getting stuck at 83% Initializing Serialization never gets past that mark ?

• SLG Admin

@midn8t its because your .net installation is out if date, you need versjon 4.6.2 of .net

• I opened both TCP and UDP ports (2999, 3000, 3001) but when I run my server and check using http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ It fails.

Running 4.2 Alpha server and client.

On the client, the server comes up as "offline". What's going on?

I also checked windows firewall and server executable is allowed all ports.

• SLG Admin

you dont need to trust firewall ping sites .. you router could block those pings by default as a security measure . i am working on a guide on how to test your firewall and find out where exactly your issue is

• @arakash There is typically two levels of firewall you need to clear.

First, you have your router (Unless direct connected). This needs to have the firewall configured properly as well as port forwarding to so that requests to your IP address know where to forward the information to the proper port and Local Area Address.

Second, you will most likely have software on your personal device that is hosting (As you mentioned, windows firewall). Depending on what is used, options may vary here. For my security suite, I have to add the program as trusted in and outbound, port permissions for the ports just like I did for port forward, and a few other tweaks.

For typical home users, I doubt you will encounter additional security (Like a built in hardware firewall on your host device too).

Either way, I experience the same issue with hosting. I can access the server on a LAN address locally, but I cannot manage to get the server to communicate through WAN. I don't have any issues with other servers I hosted, so a vital step is missing somewhere in this guide (Which is why i originally asked if it was TCP, UDP, or TCP/UDP) . I gave up trying to figure out why no one on WAN can see the server, even through a direct connect attempt since I assumed maybe the master list was not updating with my server data.

• @Teem85 if you go to the screen where you can download the client you will also see one in that list that says 'Server'.

• SLG Admin

ok got all the thinks i need .. i am going to expand this guide on troubleshooting network issues. or do you guys like this to be a separate post?

• How or where to add users for admin in users.eco?

"Admins": {
    "$id": "4",
    "System.String": {
    "$type": "System.Collections.Generic.List`1[[System.String, mscorlib]], mscorlib",
    "$values": []
    }

• Dev Tier

"Admins": {
    "$id": "4",
    "System.String": {
    "$type": "System.Collections.Generic.List`1[[System.String, mscorlib]], mscorlib",
    "$values": ["Apop85"]
    }

It goes in the brackets following $values if you don't use quotes it won't start. OR didn't for me. Even Though I am admin though I can't seem to get it to work. I heard their was some issues if you are using a host but should work. I know it does for some. This is for 4.2 not sure about 5. Good luck!

• thx. is there some way to give less than 10k skillpoints with /skillpoints command? i saw /skillpoint [amount] somewhere but the game dont seems to know this command.

• Dev Tier

Not that I know of. I was not successful in making myself in game admin. I didn't try to hard though cause I'm not trying to use any commands anyway. You could always give yourself some good food possibly to get points rolling in fast without giving yourself 10k points maybe. If you figure it out let me know! Or maybe someone else has better input on the matter

• @Apop85 from what I saw on another thread it is one hardcoded value it seems, maybe be wrong but haven't saw anyone getting a custom value as it doesn't seem to accept parameters.

• @pan7s yeah but at the time you have to do anything again the 3rd time because of servers without admin support (no one cares whats happening at their server, almost all are dead planets) you'll start to think different ;D. i just boosted me up to the level and professions i had before.

BTW

Is there a way to change the blockitem of the /level command? Found this guide about admin commands but same like /skillpoint [amount] the game dont know the command /level 2,2,stoneitem like they say in this guide. But if i write /level 2,2 stoneitem the command works but dont change the default block settings. It's still dirt.

• Dev Tier

Haha I don't know if I will think different. The server I have going we were able to get the elk on the rise. We have planted more trees then cut down. We have added plants back to the wild more then we took :) but I do understand why someone would want to.