Limitations on closing/restarting worlds

• I have bought and played the game for 4 days. I really enjoy the idea and the overall gameplay so far. However, the constant closing/restarting of different worlds opened to the public over these days disturbs me a lot.

People do cooperate in the worlds. I get along quite well with the other strangers to build up the community and technology bit by bit. However, after taking a good night's sleep, BOOM, the world was closed without any obvious reasons or previous notifications from the admin the next morning. In one particular world I played 2 days ago, I discovered that it was restarted by the admin one day and when I asked him the reason behind, all I got is "lacking certain animals in the previous landscape".

Efforts and contributions from all players in the server should be well respected. They just shouldn't be wiped out all in a sudden because of the decision of a single person.

Some preliminary thoughts on this issue:

1. Do not allow private worlds to be closed, restarted or go offline before the meteor impacts if they are opened to the
      public and there is still a significant proportion of players remained active in the game

1.1 If the admins do wish to close or restart the worlds before the meteor impacts, requests with solid explanations
      should be provided and reviewed by the game developers before granting permission

1.2 The admins should conduct a poll to show that 50% (or more) of the population agree with the closure or the re-
      establishment before proceeding to step 1.1

2. Some official worlds should be created and maintained that are guaranteed to last till the endgame with no interruptions (restarting or closing) in between. This is especially important if overall low cooperation is observed throughout the whole server of a specific language

• You do understand that (set-up dependent) a server is entirely under the control of its admin, don't you? As in, they could literally pull the electric plug out of the socket whenever they wanted. So if you want a stable world, you have two options.

1. Set up your own server.
    2. Find an admin you trust.

If an admin behaves in ways you don't like, don't go back there. Tell people on the forums you don't like the way the admin operates.

• To follow on from the other reply ... I am not sure if you understand that servers are hosted by an admin ... who has to pay for the hosting. It can be quite expensive month after month for a good server with excellent up-time and enough stability to maintain multiple players in world at the same time. Down time is not always under the admin's control either since hosting companies do have periodic downtime. If the admin hosts the server from his home then he still doesn't have full control since power and communication issues happen to the best of homes at times.

So while I agree that if someone does decide to offer a public server they should be willing and able to maintain it for the player base, they are ultimately the only people who can decide if the financial output and admin demands of doing so are worth it.

Developers simply can't tell an individual that they must keep paying for/running a server that they have lost interest in, or can no longer afford. If the player base wants to keep the server going, they need to be willing to put up real cash to take over the server and all associated tasks and costs.

So perhaps instead of just closing a server the admin should offer it to the player base first to see if there are others willing to take it over.

Another option would be to offer a way of servers being registered as a premium server where the admin undertakes to maintain the server for a certain period of time and not to make restarts in return for being allowed premium server status.

• SLG Admin

As i already noted in your review, we're going to offer some official server, but not going to impose any limitations on community administrators.
    There is a lot of good servers with caring admins out there, but noone can guarantee absolute stability.

• It'd be really really nice if you could get your linux server working, forcing your players to tip microsoft extra for hosting doesn't seem right, and almost every other game's dedicated servers run on linux. Tell the truth I bought the game seeing the linux client, didn't even think to check whether the server ran there.

• SLG Admin

You can run the server with mono on linux servers, many people do that and it seems to work fine aside from some fiddling as to which mono versions work fine.
    As far as a native linux server goes, i don't think we have any plans at the moment, but i'm not totally sure on that.

• @SLG-Dennis I did try running the server, the only instructions I could find here (basically, install mono and the server, then mono EcoServer.exe -nogui) produced a stacktrace and a hung process I had to unleash kill -9 on.

Edit: okay, discord is new to me, going there it says use mono 5.14, downgrading to that (on arch, install the downgrade package from the AUR, then downgrade mono and pick 5.14 off the list) seems to work.

• SLG Admin

Yes, we're not officially supporting Linux Servers at this time, but it does work with a bit of manual work.

• @SLG-Dennis We have a world running with a discord server and a forum that the players do not use either, so how would an admin know what the players are needing and or thinking if they don't communicate?
    Admins take a look at the world and if there is a problem then they reset it. We are committed on keeping a world running but the Admin interface GUI is very complicated when it comes to manipulating the world.
    I say if current users of a world are not wanting it to be reset or changes they should communicate with an admin.
    For example- 3 months ago the world voted a leader that hastily started making laws on cutting down trees that prevented others form making homes, if the players had communicated to the Admin that there was a problem then the admin could have fixed the issue instead of the leader hindering others advancement.

• SLG Admin

Hello AMX,
    i'll be answering as the owner of one of the most populated Eco-Servers instead of as Community Manager.

We got several admins that play with the people (despite me, as i can't afford the time anymore, unfortunately) and communication with most is working great - especially with those players that are players that are there for several cycles in a row now. You can add the discord server to the tutorial and for us this works out pretty good. Don't expect the players to voice what they want, though. We ususally do a strawpoll vote on discord about server resets and have scheme of 30 days guaranteed uptime with followed reset votes that we wrote into the description so players can freely choose if they would like to play on that server.

We never reset the server without asking the players on discord in a poll that needs to be won. I'd find it odd if players would need to come to you to tell you you should not reset, especially when they have no idea about that you plan to do so or that is an possiiblity at all.

To have a good running server you really need to actively invest time to create a community and make people communicate - you will not be able to do this with everyone, but with most of your active players.

It seems like you're not actively monitoring your server? A law like the one the leader did would have come to the attention of one of our admins pretty automatically and they would have taken care about that, too. It's only issues we cannot easily see, like property disputes and griefing in the world that we need player reports and those we usually do indeed get.