Developer Community Kickoff - Project Management Decisions

• SVN has worked well for us so far, but transitioning to something open source, with the potential to accept outside contributions, I think we need something more sophisticated, that handles branching well. Basically source control where we can have full control over what goes into the main branch, but users can create side branches and mess around all they want. If something has unlimited users thats going to be better, so we can scale up a lot of users if we want.

Github with large file storage sounds pretty cool, wonder if it's stable enough to use/cheap enough?

• one other thing have you thought about where you would store documentation?

• Good point, probably keep using Google Docs, and just share it to the community

• Also will documentation be made by hand or will some of the documentation (see the python documentation for a great example) be generated from the doc strings? If so what program will we use to generate the documentation? (ie what syntax needs to be done to the docstrings to make it readable by the program?) and will we also want basic user documentation made? or just a wiki that the community contributes to to give a basic user guide?

Also if we use the gitlab community edition and host it ourselves then it is completely free for however we want to use it ("completely free and open source (MIT Expat license)" from the gitlab community page) I don't know if we have the resources to host one though, for that github might be nice since they will potentially allow for more users.

• Source control: GitHub probably? - <b>Love Github. :D</b>
    Bug database: Jira? - <b>I am familiar with Jira so i would be fine with this.</b>
    Project planning: Trello - <b>Pretty common now and days, and for good reason it works.</b>
    Chat and project management: Slack? - <b>Love Slack, i switched our entire company to it when i got hired as IT Director.</b>

As far as a depot, you could easily set up a server with OwnCloud installed (free) and then use WEBDAV to connect the "remote hard drive" to your computer. It's one option.

What someone said above, Gitlab works well, i have used it in projects before it can be a stickler some times with configuration but nothing extreme. But github repo's can be private as well, but it cost per user slot i thought.

P.S - Afaik.. Slack requires company e-mail addresses, you can allow multiple domain e-mail addresses however to sign up (i run 4 community sites, so i generate e-mails from all 4) but i have never tried with a common domain such as gmail.

I have used all of these technologies plus several other kinds (as im sure people above have to) so if you are looking for something specific in any of these that would be the question to ask. But no matter what, Git (Community edition or normal) is a personal preference for code repo.

• <blockquote>P.S - Afaik.. Slack requires company e-mail addresses, you can allow multiple domain e-mail addresses however to sign up (i run 4 community sites, so i generate e-mails from all 4) but i have never tried with a common domain such as gmail.</blockquote>
    From my understanding, an invite can be sent out by the dev team to enable backers to sign up via their own email addresses.

• Well that would be good, as i said i have never tried it with common e-mail domain addresses. Hopefully it works fine bc i love slack plus then i can be in the slack dev chat at work and no one would know! >;D

• I've used Jira professionally for a few years now, and it's okay for development tracking, but not ideal. It works better for bug tracking, but I wouldn't strongly recommend it, as it's quite expensive and the UI is getting pretty old. It doesn't play as nicely with other tools as some other options.

On the other hand, GitHub has always worked perfectly for me, either directly or via Xcode.

I give Slack a +1.

• Well he said he wanted to use it as the bug DB and Trello for project planning. But you are right about the expensive part. There are not to-to many bug tracking options out there however.. (that are worth the time or good). But i can put together a short list of options i am familiar with i guess!

Aside from <a href="https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira">Jira</a> we have...

===========

<a href="https://www.jetbrains.com/youtrack/">YouTrack</a>: Which is awesome, and i have used them before but unless you are open source/learning project on the free edition the cost is some-what prohibitive... >->

<a href="https://www.mantisbt.org/">Mantis</a>: Is a common, free option among many projects i have worked on. It doesn't look very pretty.. but the functionality is there and works fine plus you can self host it.

<a href="https://www.bugzilla.org/">BugZilla</a>: Used by FireFox makers (Mozilla) for their products. The fuctionality works well, it is free and can be self-hosted. But again if aesthetics matter its just ok in that department.

<a href="https://www.zoho.com/bugtracker/">Bug Tracker</a>: Made by ZoHo it is actually not that bad, its fairly feature filled and has github integration built in which is nice. It looks nice as well however there is not a self-host option only remote hosting on their system. I will say however, their pricing plan is nice because you pay based on how many projects, not users. You can have unlimited users. I haven't used this Zoho product before but have used some of their others, their service has always been stable for me.

<a href="http://www.thebuggenie.com/">The Bug Genie</a>: Has a self-host or cloud host option, you can but a one time license for the self host. The pricing really isn't terrible considering they have a one time license unlimited user option. I haven't used them personally before but they do have GitHub integration among other things. And they claim to be aesthetically pleasing.

===========

This is a short list and hopefully it is useful; it could be expanded upon but a lot of the others are prohibitively expensive, doesn't work for what this type of project is, or has been abandoned.

• I hate to suggest this, but what about VSO?

• I don't even know what VSO stands for. xD

• I assume MS Visual Studio Online - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Visual_Studio#Visual_Studio_Online

Other parts of the company I work at use Kayako for issue tracking and they are happy. I think it's fairly cheap, too.

• in my experience:
    perforce is bad.
    svn is okay, but can be somewhat slow.
    git is wonderful for code, but as you have said art will be separate, still worth it if you ask me.

• I have used Kayako at the company i work at before as a general help desk, but not as a user bug tracker. They are private tickets, so im not sure it would be good to use as a bug tracker those should be public and able to be commented on, etc.

Unless there is a section like this in Kayako i have not used/seen before and if that's the case then great bc kayako is a good product. :o

• My preferences below. Doesn't really matter that much though :-)

Source control: TFS, SubVersion, GitHub (in order of preference)
    Bug database: Jira or ScrumWise
    Project planning: ScrumWise
    Chat and project management: Skype for chat. ScrumWise for project management

• What about collaborating on design documents?
    I tend to lean on Google Docs when their security is acceptable to the team.

• It seems like from what the forums are turning into is a lot of questions that may be clarified in the documentation. Is it possible to get a link to what has been done so far?

• Let's get this info into a table and figure out the best one to use. I've created a spreadsheet here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lz6tun4uXLmak6Qd8k2lqWHPSYoTSauIMlH7Na6TlgA/edit#gid=0

Note: spreadsheets like this are public for now, but eventually we'll limit them to the dev community once we have emails and an account system.

• GitHub announced recently-ish about support for large file storage:
    https://github.com/blog/1986-announcing-git-large-file-storage-lfs

We use Perforce at work, and maybe it's because I came from a prior experience with Mercurial and Git, but I really loathe the Perforce workflow and how "heavy" it is to set up a client. Certainly for an open source collaboration project I think gravitating towards Git or its siblings would make things easier.

Maybe that allow for a version control that doesn't need to separate code and assets into different systems?

We use Jira at work. It's fine - I have nothing else to compare it to. It has it quirks which makes us shout at the screen some times, but I guess that would apply to any alternative when you set up a complex system like a project management solution.

Haven't had too much experience with Slack yet. Though trying it out for my own dev projects. Some way to unify communication which is scattered all over the place. And I like the notion of integrations with services and automations.

But when it comes to it, it's all just tools. Pick a set and stick with it.

• As a former ALM MVP if you want I can help to setup/manager everything on Visual Studio Online and TFS.
    I don't know exactly how much it would cost you but it's fairly cheap as MSFT is pushing the tech.

You can also rely on Git for Source Control with Visual Studio Online, regarding build and Project Management, I really think you can achieve something more than acceptable with the included features.