Setting up a ECO server on Ubuntu (other linux is probably very similar)

• I'll certainly give it a try, one thing I would like to know before I do though is how to go about stopping the mono process (aka the server).
    Never was keen on manually stopping processes nor have I done it much in the past.

The main problem I have is the dedibox is currently hosting live servers, shutting it down completely would require alot of announcements and notification to players that the service will be unavailable for a time, thats something I want to avoid.
    This is what I meant really in regards to native linux support, we need a proper administration interface and/or documentation on what command lines are available to be able to manage the server properly.

• Dev Tier

Ok just a heads up, I'm working on an interface for Linux users right now, it will be very basic at first. Start/stop. But for now you can kill it via top/htop and send terminate signal. Not kill signal.

I hope I helped you. If you wanna wait a day or so I'll have an automated script up for users.

• @kicker22004

Sounds good! Thanks again for looking at this, ECO is a great game I'm actually having a play myself again with all the new stuff.

• Dev Tier

Yeah funny part is I've only played the game like 3 hours but love it.

• I cant see that the map is not working. In version 6.3.0 is the web map working. The only thing which is not working are the layers, but this is also in windows server not perfectly working

• Dev Tier

@ModdyLP said:

I cant see that the map is not working. In version 6.3.0 is the web map working. The only thing which is not working are the layers, but this is also in windows server not perfectly working

Yes I tracked down the map bug in version 6.2. it's should be mostly working now.

• I just set this up on a fresh Ubuntu server and it all seems to go well but it seems to just sit at "Server Initialisation finished" and do nothing else.. Any ideas? Thanks

Managed to get it to go further using the Staging server version but then after it tries to save the world i get this error

[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Protocol option not supported

• Dev Tier

When you say save the world can you explain... Also the build time is 50% slower on Linux vs windows so after you see finished you have to wait for building chunks to finish. Depending on world size this can take up to an hour.

• Thanks for the reply. :)
    It does this and then seems to crash, Here's a bit more of what it was doing at the time.

[36:38] Initializing world layers...
    [37:30] Computing encasement... Finished in 49,818.6ms
    [37:30] Calculating chunk encasement...
    [37:37] Freezing... Finished in 7,569.0ms
    [37:46] Saving...
    System.Net.Sockets.SocketOptionName 0x17 is not supported at IP level
    [37:47] Server Initialization finished in 136,791.9ms
    [ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Protocol option not supported

• Dev Tier

Please run mono -V and give your output.

• Mono JIT compiler version 5.8.0.22 (tarball Sat Oct 21 01:32:41 UTC 2017)
    Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
    TLS: __thread
    SIGSEGV: altstack
    Notifications: epoll
    Architecture: amd64
    Disabled: none
    Misc: softdebug
    LLVM: supported, not enabled.
    GC: sgen (concurrent by default)

• Dev Tier

Well that looks good. Are you on the discord by chance?

• I'm in the Eco discord yeah

• Dev Tier

Give me about 10-15 and I'll jump on ok

• Ok thanks :)

• Dev Tier

I'm in voice chat if your on discord.

• @kicker22004 ok, i can't do voice chat at the moment though.

• Dev Tier

hmm when is a good time for you? It just makes it easier to assist so we don't fill up this chat. Lets chat in discord support section k.

• Dev Tier

The instructions in this post worked for me to set up a Eco server on Ubuntu 17.10.

Notes:

1. When installing the beta version of Mono (from link: http://www.mono-project.com/download/beta/#download-lin )

At the time of writing, the instructions there are for Ubuntu 16.04, 14.04, and 12.04.

On Ubuntu 17.10, I followed the instructions for Ubuntu 16.04, which worked despite not being for 17.10.

2. There's a known bug with tooltips on the Linux server:

https://github.com/StrangeLoopGames/EcoIssues/issues/2084

This bug is still present in 0.7.0.4 - it's annoying, but doesn't pose a serious obstacle to running a Linux server.

Additional to this, all configuration changes must be done manually to the files in the Configs/ folder, as the GUI configuration editor doesn't work on Linux.

I would suggest:

• Configs/Backup.eco - change the backup period from 4-hourly to 1-hourly, with 48 backups retained.
    • Configs/Network.eco - add a Description line.
    • Configs/Users.eco - add yourself to the Admins list. (Use your Strange Loop Games id - i.e. slg12345.)

• @lws said:

Description

Actually I am having the same issues with Ubuntu 16.04.3 and Mono 5.8.0.108

What I found out is, that if you precreate a world locally on your windows PC, copy it over and then start the server, it surely will work.