Setting up a ECO server on Ubuntu (other linux is probably very similar)

• Dev Tier

Hi guys i'm new around here but not new in the Linux world and figured like those reading this post that you probably like to host your game servers on linux. This was my only issue so far with Eco so I decided to take some time and see what/if any information was out there to assist me in this. Turns out it's really simple to setup and host on.

Things you will need to do:

• sudo apt-get update

• sudo apt-get install unzip

Follow this links instruction to install the latest version of MONO.
    Link

You only need to complete steps 1 and 2 (nothing else)

Once that is done you should run this command.

• mono -V

The output should say Version is 5.4+ if everything went right.

Now to get the server files and start setting up your server...

And that's it boys and girls, If all went ok you should now be waiting for your server to build on your linux box.
    I'll be making some interesting things for myself with managing the server but may post them here if others would like.

KNOWN BUGS:

• WebUI doesn't work 100% see attached picture.
      Capture.JPG

• You tell me if any other...

If your like me and learn from watching videos on YouTube, Your in luck!
    Simple setup tutorial

• Hi there ;D

Is that your work ?

• Dev Tier

There is no real work here, this is just a set of instructions for users wishing to run eco on a Linux box.

• SLG Admin

i am going to pin this ! since i know people ask about it from time to time !

• Dev Tier

Well i'm a huge linux fan and tinkerer and would love to see this working on linux for other's to enjoy. Can you please give me any insite to how you are managing your website and also any other arguments other then nogui for the EXE. I'm currently decompiling it but would be nice if it was directly from you guys lol.
    Or even how the GUI communicates with the server directly because i'd love to build a linux program to handle the commands to the server for linux users.

• SLG Admin

Sadly i am not a huge coder :( though come and join our discord server her http://discord.gg/eco and you might be able to ask Metachronims or one of the other devs there. There is the option to buy also source code access ( Sadly we have to sell it for a high price ,, cant just give the source code of a game away for free :( )

• Dev Tier

Yeah i'm not after all the source code just some tips to get me going on supporting linux better. I'll have to pop over to that discord and check it out here after a bit. Thank you and i'm glad to see this game is doing well. I really enjoy the game so far and hope to draw more attention to it using my YouTube channel and my fun ideas!

• @kicker22004 What is the link to your yt channel ?

• Dev Tier

It's the same as my username here, also if you follow the video link you will find it.

• Thankyou very much kicker22004!
    Certainly does look simple indeed, much simpler than I was expecting (was under the impression WINE and other windows type emulation software was required).
    I guess I will have to read up on what MONO is exactly and if it will affect any other programs our dedibox is running.

• Dev Tier

You're very much welcome, I have seen mono not work so we are still missing parts and not many leads to find them so if you have any errors let me know. So far the only thing I found not working is the web UI doesn't load the textures for the world and I am tracking that down now.

• I'll certainly give it a try, one thing I would like to know before I do though is how to go about stopping the mono process (aka the server).
    Never was keen on manually stopping processes nor have I done it much in the past.

The main problem I have is the dedibox is currently hosting live servers, shutting it down completely would require alot of announcements and notification to players that the service will be unavailable for a time, thats something I want to avoid.
    This is what I meant really in regards to native linux support, we need a proper administration interface and/or documentation on what command lines are available to be able to manage the server properly.

• Dev Tier

Ok just a heads up, I'm working on an interface for Linux users right now, it will be very basic at first. Start/stop. But for now you can kill it via top/htop and send terminate signal. Not kill signal.

I hope I helped you. If you wanna wait a day or so I'll have an automated script up for users.

• @kicker22004

Sounds good! Thanks again for looking at this, ECO is a great game I'm actually having a play myself again with all the new stuff.

• Dev Tier

Yeah funny part is I've only played the game like 3 hours but love it.

• I cant see that the map is not working. In version 6.3.0 is the web map working. The only thing which is not working are the layers, but this is also in windows server not perfectly working

• Dev Tier

@ModdyLP said:

I cant see that the map is not working. In version 6.3.0 is the web map working. The only thing which is not working are the layers, but this is also in windows server not perfectly working

Yes I tracked down the map bug in version 6.2. it's should be mostly working now.

• I just set this up on a fresh Ubuntu server and it all seems to go well but it seems to just sit at "Server Initialisation finished" and do nothing else.. Any ideas? Thanks

Managed to get it to go further using the Staging server version but then after it tries to save the world i get this error

[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Protocol option not supported

• Dev Tier

When you say save the world can you explain... Also the build time is 50% slower on Linux vs windows so after you see finished you have to wait for building chunks to finish. Depending on world size this can take up to an hour.

• Thanks for the reply. :)
    It does this and then seems to crash, Here's a bit more of what it was doing at the time.

[36:38] Initializing world layers...
    [37:30] Computing encasement... Finished in 49,818.6ms
    [37:30] Calculating chunk encasement...
    [37:37] Freezing... Finished in 7,569.0ms
    [37:46] Saving...
    System.Net.Sockets.SocketOptionName 0x17 is not supported at IP level
    [37:47] Server Initialization finished in 136,791.9ms
    [ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Protocol option not supported