Storage problem

• My cart has 12 storage boxes game only lets me fill 5 than cart is full same with public storage in workbenches and campfire Chests wont allow me to fill last two boxes

• Carts, like chest can fill up faster on weight, not slots.

• Nowhere on the cart is listed how much it can Carry or how much you have loaded How can you upgrade them to carry more I am maxed out on my storage skil

• Both chest and carts have a 'private' weight they can hold. You can not upgrade chest/carts without a Mod. Clay's Tool Kit used to remove the weight, he is working on it to be 5.5.1 ready. <Shameless Plug> My Bigger Chest Mod allows you to have either a 32 or 64 slot, with double/triple weight increase as well.</Shameless Plug>

• @MasterWho said:

Both chest and carts have a 'private' weight they can hold. You can not upgrade chest/carts without a Mod. Clay's Tool Kit used to remove the weight, he is working on it to be 5.5.1 ready. <Shameless Plug> My Bigger Chest Mod allows you to have either a 32 or 64 slot, with double/triple weight increase as well.</Shameless Plug>

Your mod sounds fantastic but you need to have your own server to use mods right

• You would have to have access to the server files to install the mod, yes. So if you are playing on someone else's server you would need to ask them if they would install the mod for you or look for a server that already has the mod installed. Many servers do use the Bigger Chest Mod for just this reason.

I know in 5.6 or so they plan to do away with chests and go to a stockpile system. Probably that won't effect carts and they will still have a weight limit but details are not out on that yet

• I hope they do a stockpile system. I really like the idea of that. :)

• All they would have to do is increase the stack size, from 10 (stone, wood, etc) to 50 or 100
    A chest could hold more than 150 items.

Stockpiles are so messy

• Yes that would work. But they need to fix the item splinter be for that would be effective

• I don't think that A chest should hold more then 150 items. Think of how big a chest would have to be to hold 150 logs of wood! That is why my firewood is stored outside in a log pile and not in my garage in a bunch of chests. Yes I can get well over 150 small household items in a large chest but not things like large resources. I think just increasing the stack size in a chest - is very artificial and too neat. You are doing it for the sake of the player that wants easy gameplay solution. Think of how you would solve pollution immediately in the world if a chest could hold 100 things no matter how large or how much they weighted? You could just stuff 100 wreaked and rusted cars in a chest and not need a junkyard. I could stack a cord of wood in a couple of chests inside instead of maintaining a wood pile outside. But that is far from how it really works so it makes sense that weight is taken into consideration and that chests have a weight (or think of it as volume) limit as well as a count at this time - as chests are the storage solution but stockpiles make a more realistic storage solution.

• That is kinda why I kept my molded chest with weight. If a player builds a 64 slots chest, they can not fill it full of trailing, but if they had a bunch of seeds, sure. I double the weight of Big, and double again for Bigger. (40,80,120)

Edit: but Clay's tool kit used to work with my mod to erase the weight limit, but as of 5.5, it is broke.

• I think the idea is to use stockpiles instead of chest as a sort of upgrade to chest later. and if i am not wrong the idea is also that you can move stockpiles

• Yes, and that makes sense. And I don't have a problem with the way chests work right now - as chests are the current solution and making what they hold be constrained by number and weight makes sense rather then just it being by number. My main point was that what Auzze said about just increasing stack size and not going to a stock pile system is maybe "the easy way" but not a very good or elegant solution given what the game is all about IMO. Solving messy by arbitrarily allowing everything to be stuffed in a box is not how the world works. How nice it would be to solve a problem of too many tailings by just waving a magic wand and allowing a box to hold more rather then have them in a messy stockpile is part of managing things

• I concur. One of the reasons I made my mod (besides to see if I could) was to give more use to lumber and storage ranks (back in 5.4) With Bigger I added both copper and iron to give players more pollution from smelting/blastering .

• Food for thought.

Why not be able to craft larger storage boxes
    Chest holds 14 stacks
    Trunk holds 22 stacks
    Crates holds 30 stacks
    This could be linked to storage skill tree.

You will still need something to hold the tailings in, a "stockpile" would be open to the air and pollute