Can we get some info on how animal breeding works?

• I think most of us would like to know some details on how animal breeding works. Can a dev respond and give some details on how the system works?

• There currently isn't any domestication in the game.

If you're talking about the wild populations, there's a bug right now that's preventing animals from respawning. It will be fixed in a future staging version.

Animals will only breed when the local plant population (or prey, in the case of wolves and foxes) can support additional animals. This includes wild and planted crops. Animals cannot magically appear where a population doesn't already exist (such that if you clear a forest of elks, no more will appear since they're all dead). Destroying the food that the animals eat will cause them to die due to starvation.

• @craig.jong said:

There currently isn't any domestication in the game.

If you're talking about the wild populations, there's a bug right now that's preventing animals from respawning. It will be fixed in a future staging version.

Animals will only breed when the local plant population (or prey, in the case of wolves and foxes) can support additional animals. This includes wild and planted crops. Animals cannot magically appear where a population doesn't already exist (such that if you clear a forest of elks, no more will appear since they're all dead). Destroying the food that the animals eat will cause them to die due to starvation.

So in a future staging version they will eat farmed crops?

• i think by setting specieschange to 1 will make them infinite

• the more i watch it the more i see it never depletes now

• maybe calorie intake is whats the trigger after all

• They already eat farmed crops.

The issue in the current build is the animals not retaining decimal populations correctly, so when the population in an area is changed by say 0.01, it does nothing. Setting the Species Change Rate increases the rate at which the animals will repopulate when killed, so 1 ensures that they're always spawning in every tick. The amount will be determined based on the number of animals an area can support. The amount that is supported is determined by the calorie intake of the animals.