Building and Mining

• Will players be able to process generated waste? I.e. harvest waste to reduce it , thus reducing it's impact, and also turn it into a material which can be reused or converted to a form which can be better managed.

Of course the type of waste would then be important. You wouldn't be able to, for example, convert radioactive waste as you would general household waste.

E.g. You harvest food waste from a building/town and send it to a farmer who then converts it to compost for improving crop yields or food for a worm/snail farm. For a person who wants to traverse an agricultural path, which supports others who take on a more technological route, the ability to reuse materials to make it produce food, and incorporating ideas like permaculture, would be a valued member of a community as they reduce waste and produce food.

• +1 for @stuvik
    You could either have each skill process its own waste, like a farmer processes food waste, or there could be a dedicated skill for this, like salvage. The higher the skill, the more that can be reclaimed from a source and the more advanced wastes that could be reclaimed.

• Waste recycling will be a thing, basically youll have to do a lot of thinking about what happens with the waste products you make, and how do you transport large amounts of materials, as both of those will affect the environment a lot.

• @cr4zyc4t @killerfurby33 @Deus @JohnK

Reading over all the replies makes me giddy about the prospect this game has to offer. I have to ask the question will the game be more like a realistic simulation? or Are you going for the Video Game feel. Like suppose someone starts day one and they want to be a Smith. As a smith (Solo Player) You'd have to develop some lumber skill, Stone skill, and mining skill? Now the question is are you allowed to master every skill. In a real life situation you physically can't master every skill. Like if you want to devote your efforts into physical skills instead of per say a cooking skill or Archery (archery is somewhat physical but you get what I'm saying)

^great poll topic! Can a person master all trades? or will the jack of all trades never master any.

• @Leroy_D
    I think it wouldn't be a good idea to dictate this onto players. Several friends of mine are pretty hyped for ECO - but consider it to be played in completely different ways:
    Some of them would like to play it with people they're currently playing Diablo with: 2-8 players
    Some want to play it in a slightly bigger community, comparable to a mediumish Minecraft server: 10-30 players
    The last but not least group sees it as an actual social experiment which should be scaled up to servers with 100-1000+ players

As far as I can tell, all of these are part of the 'targeted audience', hence setting it into stone would either make it too hard for the first or too easy for the last mentioned group. Therefore I think of a configurable solution as the way to go. For example, when setting up the server, the admin can set a skill point multiplier based on the expected amount of players. A hidden skill point multiplier based on the player slots count of the server would be another way. I'm not really a fan of either solution, but I'm sure we'll figure out a reasonable solution.

Due to this topic not being actually related to the initial topic of the thread, would a mod mind to move this discussion into a new one?

• @illoOminated +1

The ideas and support of the comunity is great and there are many people who think about a complex and realistic game, but i wan't to add two points:
    1- You have to think about the aspect of education(and for this goal strangeloopgames got a lot of money, so it has to work). This game will be used in the middle-school and there should be the main aspect the ecosystem and economy. The childreen can't play the whole day to understand playing the game.
    2- there is a team of 8 developers and they won't work all day ;). Everything that make the game more complex is A LOT of work for the team.

-> don't stop making great discussions and make this game more interesting with your ideas, but maybe you have to bring them in the game by yourself with modding :) etc.

• @illoOminated I get what you're saying, people (most likely) will be able to host their own servers and can set the values to what they wish. However I disagree that this is off topic. The Op asked about building and mining, the fact is none of us have seen the Code except the devs. So we don't technically know. However in relation to building and mining I'm assuming skills will be the foundation of these aspects (If not mining being a skill itself -if the game even has scale-able skills.)

There's a flow chart to how buildings are set up in the slack, but I haven't been able to pull anything technical from posting there. As a community of people I think this Pre-alpha discussion is good for bonding and getting to know each others personality and goals for the duration of this project Oct 2015-TBA. @TaminoSch +Spirit

• @Leroy_D I seen posted <i>somewhere </i>(I'm thinking it was posted in this forum by JohnK) that any skill continuously increases (with diminishing returns). So one skill is <b>never "mastered"</b>. It is anticipated that most players will become proficient in several skills. A typical server is not intended to continue for long enough for you to become proficient in all skills.
    It was also noted that skills continue to grow while the player is off-line. Your character will remain in the world "doing" what you left it doing.
    Food plays a big role in skills increasing.

I infer that the key to building skills is to remain nutritiously well fed, and in the building that lets you do the skill you want to grow in.
    I suppose in this case an activly dedicated player could "solo" by using multiple accounts :P

• @Leroy_D I agree in pretty much every point, yet I think you might have misunderstood - I don't think the Skill discussion is off topic in terms of 'not game-related', but rather in terms of 'belonging to a different thread'. I know they are closely linked and I thought there was a specific 'Skills' thread already - a quick forum search proved me wrong, though. Sorry 'bout that.

In my opinion, this is one of the major flaws of classic forums - so many topics are closely entwined but discussed with different scopes. Yet you somehow want to keep them together. Haven't found a tag-based forum (clustering tags into discussions), though, and I'm not sure whether or how it would work out. Anyways, btt.

• @Leroy_D: It will have a lot of video game aspects yes, but we're going for realism! As real as you can be in a very broad simulation like this. As for skills, you can specialize in only one at a time, so youre limited by time as to how spread out your skills will be, and we'll balance it so being a jack of all trades is way less efficient than specializing and trading with other specializers, that way the economy becomes very important. There will be a skill hierarchy kind of like what youre describing, but more like unlocked skills from research.

@TaminoSch thanks mate, yeah we acutally have 6, and hope to staff up to 8 later :) So, tons of work to do! But we can pull it off.

@illominated yeah our new forums should have some nice features for branching conversations like this, cant wait till Jeff gets those in!

Chatting about this stuff gets me really excited to build it too. Great to have feedback all.