Mono Ubuntu 16 - EcoServer 5.4 - #Cbfbea3a ( Crash )

• Well downloaded the staging build for 5.4 and got greeted with a long-ish crash.
    The 5.3 runs fine with mono but seems something changed in 5.4

I'll attach the dump let me know if there is something you want me to try.
    Crash 02024515.ecodmp

• The server got upgraded to .NET 4.6.2, so there might be some compatiblity problems with Mono 4.2 - Have you perchance tried the Mono beta?

It's not a problem to downgrade back to .NET 4.5 if that does not work.

• I'll try it out tomorrow and post an update :)

• I just put up a server running 5.3 in my Hyper-V environment. It is a Windows 7 Professional install running only the eco server currently, for ease of setup (and because I already had an unused Win7 Pro key, haha)

I am considering attempting the 5.4 stage.... hmm. I think I will. I'll reply to this once I have it up and running.

I might consider switching to a headless Ubuntu server install once this is out of Alpha and in Beta, for the sake of not wasting resources on a GUI and tweaking the VM's resources to be as efficient as possible. But I'm just rambling at this point...

• Up and running on Windows 7 Pro with a 5.4 server, have it public for testing performance / etc. If this goes well I might toss together a dedicated box for this (even though 6GB of RAM, a dedicated SSD, and a dedicated gigabit NIC port is probably enough via the hyperV build).

Very interested in your progress with Ubuntu tbbw82!

• I tryed to upgrade a 5.3 map to a 5.4 and got an error:

[57:54] Loading Plants... Finished in 4 816,8ms
    [57:59] Initializing WorldObjectManager...
    [57:59] Loading Objects... 7%%

Process is terminated due to StackOverflowException.

Will update mono in a lil while and try with an empty storage folder to see if atleast that works.

• send me Game.eco and I can debug too, probably still a few more backwards compat issues

• Here is the Game.eco that did the overflow error:
    http://tbbw.owlbox.net/ECO/Game.eco

• save loads fine on latest master, so when 5.4 hits tomorrow (crosses fingers for 30th time) it should work.

• Ok i'll wait for that version and try again then, just installed the beta branch of mono to try that out aswell.

• Ok with the beta branch of mono the Cbfbea3a build of 5.4 starts with an empty map with the "-nogui" parameter just fine.
    Same error on trying to upgrade the 5.3 Game.eco file as i got trying to do it in windows ( will test again when next build is out ).
    Still get the same pixmap error with Cbfbea3a as i did with 5.3 trying to run the server without the "-nogui".

Will run the same tests with the next build.

Oh and if anyone wants the instructions on how to upgrade mono in ubuntu 16 ( probobly work in 14 aswell ) here they are:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF
    echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian beta main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin-beta.list
    sudo apt-get update

If ubuntu holds back the updates just do:
    sudo apt-get install mono-complete

• Server managed to upgrade my 5.3 world to 5.4 765fb0d7 with no problems (with the mono beta).
    Been running around and i cannot see any artifacts so far.
    So i think i should call this topic resolved.

• @tbbw82 Nice work and thanks for all of the updates.

• Well figured other server owners might be holding off on upgrading to see someone else try it first and since i run a small invite only kind of server i can experiment.

• @tbbw82 It is really helpful. I need to figure out how to upgrade a Windows server install myself.

• All you should need to do is to unzip the server itself to a new folder.
    Copy some of your configs over ( if you changed anything ).
    Make sure you have the newest .net installed ( 4.6.2 get it at: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53345 ).

Once all that is done you should only need to copy ( leave the old one where it is just incase you need to revert to backup ) your "Storage" folder over to the new folder for 5.4
    And then start the server and after a few minutes it should be up and running.

• @tbbw82 Nice! I'm going to see what I can do to test this out!