Headless Linux Server?

• Will there be a headless Linux server available? Or if not headless, a gui framework compatible with linux? I offered to provide John with 10 VPS's and also have some Dedicated Server's as well (8 and 16 core) in my server farm. But i don't normally carry windows licensed servers. Will i have to get one to run an Alpha Eco server? :o

I tried asking @JohnK in PM on here but he is busy, so it's fine.

• Dev Tier

I really hope there will be support for the headless linux server. Just makes life easier to deploy.

• SLG Admin

Yeah, only runs on Windows boxes at the moment. @metachronism will be able to speak more about our plans to support additional server platforms

• Awe snap. I'll have to get some windows licenses then. Darn, unless.. It will run on Wine. XD

• SLG Admin

Server should run fine on linux under mono, it just hasn't been tested really much at all on that front yet (I used to work for Microsoft so haven't dabbled with linux much). UI wise, we aren't doing anything fancy and the end target is to be able to run without a UI at all if need be. So it is the goal, I just don't think we can guarantee it will be available in that form with the initial alpha release.

• Will the game only run on Windows for Alpha and beyond?

Ie can I install the source on linux when it has its dev release?

@MajorCyto, I have a basic Windows Server 2012 licence laying around if I can find it I can let you borrow it although it is only for dual processor systems so running on wine may be the best solution for a more robust solution. I could also just use the windows installation on one of my servers which I can leverage as well.

• Oo, good to know @Metachonism i was going to ask about Mono/Wine.. i have ran things through that way before. All though some times it requires something specific and won't run proper. I can provide you a Linux VPS to test on if you like meta, or i can test it. 8D

Worst case scenario i can just add a windows server to my farm for a short while i guess. I just prefer to work on Linux servers so fingers crossed that Wine/Mono will play nicely.

@eat_those_lemons : Thank you for the offer, but i can add a Windows server in my farm temporarily for the time being if Wine does not work. But that was really nice of you to offer. :D

• @MajorCyto, sure thing, let me know if there is stuff that I can do to help with wine and such :)

Also @MajorCyto, and @Metachonism it sounds like our main thing might be to make the server run on linux.

• I have a dedicated vm with many windows boxes if that's needed. Can give access to those who would need it if need be.

• Currently I use windows Azure to host my server but on Ubuntu 15.04 (not a fan of powershell).
    I will be interested to test the build server (I can set up a windows server very quickly but I'm not very experience in managing windows server)

• I will work on getting it to run on Linux via mono and wine. If I am successful I will share my steps. I have done a few other servers that way let's hope it goes smoothly lol.

• SLG Admin

Awesome! Will be great to have help on the linux front.

• Possibly a console / terminal only version? Also, I'd love to help on the front of server hosting, already sent you an e-mail for that :)

All our servers have mono installed so i'll test it as soon as an alpha server comes available.

• I also have 10 to 15 servers I can provide. But mostly all Linux. Hopefully we can work together to get it working on Linux. :)>-

• Hopefully it will work well with mono, not a big fan of requiring to run windows in order to host a server

• SLG Admin

i only have windows servers =P and those are configured in an AD domain and with my costume tools =P so as long as i can runs servers as an service i am happy =P

• Just wondering if using a tool like the <a href="http://www.mono-project.com/docs/tools+libraries/tools/moma/">Mono Migration Analyser</a> might help with determining if the server tools will play nice in linux.

• SLG Admin

oo awesome, thanks!

• Dev Tier

I have gotten the server to work on Linux using Mono without wine. linux-eco-server.png .

Of course, there's some issues, but it seems to be working.

• hi everyone

here you can find a fully functional headless Docker server I've made: start.sh Dockerfile

it's still missing VOLUME to keep the generated world outside of the docker to keep it after a reboot but it's a start feel free to improve it :)