Skill leveling

• i think that as you use a skill such as woodcutting you should gain experience both towards skill points and towards the skill itself to level skills with ought using your skill points, i also think that there should be some basic skills such as carry weight that cannot be leveled using skill points but only by using them, for example carry weight would increase by carrying stuff around and it would increase how many resources you could carry at once and in your backpack.

Views

• I think one of the main points is that you can't grind all day. There are limited food sources and limited trees, so cutting them all down because it makes you skill up will be a bad thing. Using more calories to do so will also empty the worlds food resources aswell. I know what you're after, but I don't think this is the best way to implement it.

• why not? they always say they go for realism, then they definately should swith back to learning by doing instead of those stupid rpg-style skillpoints, idle-eating your way to high skills, yeah...
    you get a better woodcutter by cutting lots of wood, to be able to cut lots of wood you need to plant enough trees to cut or need someone who plant's them for you, you can't/don't want to plant that many trees, well then you can't get better at woodcutting, simple as that

• @Woolridge said:

why not? they always say they go for realism

Who and where? We live on a planet the size of a shoe, watching a meteor approach our little planet with enough time that we can advance through several thousand years' worth of technology in a matter of days.

then they definately should swith back to learning by doing instead of those stupid rpg-style skillpoints, idle-eating your way to high skills, yeah...
    Some systems are better than others. The overarching theme with Eco is patience and moderation. Grinding simply isn't the way to go. If they were to change it, there'd be complaints how we want to grind to high skill, but are punished because grinding damages the environment.

Personally, I like it this way, food serves a very important role and I'm not forced to grind in order to maintain pace with my fellow players. The latter being important to me being a father and working 60 hours per week.

• @darkensign well, the game is meant to be education of some sort, what would a kid learn by leveling skills up by eating good stuff and idling the rest of the time to get more points to spend?
    it definately should learn that there's no gain without effort, but instead the game in it's current state teaches the polar opposit...

• @Woolridge said:

@darkensign well, the game is meant to be education of some sort, what would a kid learn by leveling skills up by eating good stuff and idling the rest of the time to get more points to spend?

That balanced diet is important and forward planning is an important part of success.

it definately should learn that there's no gain without effort, but instead the game in it's current state teaches the polar opposit...

I'm not sure I would qualify grinding as effort. It requires you to be at your computer, sure, but grinding is rarely hard, just tedious.

I would posit that forward planning rewards you with a greater capacity to "do" while the grind aspect of the game is the "do". If I want a new building, or a new road, there's no choice but to work (in later patches, someone needs to work, but work still needs to be done). However, by planning ahead, eating the right foods, ensuring storage and logistics are covered, these jobs can be done faster and yield higher quality results; e.g. a multi-faceted stone house with a roof instead of another log cuboid.

• @darkensign but where would be the gain of actually playing the game when all you really need to do is idling up you're skills and in the end only do what you want to do except from that?
    if there's no need to do anything in order to achieve the same as everyone else gets then where's the point in even taking part in it?
    if i would want a game like that i would instead just play minecraft...
    i just don't want this game to be the same overly simplified stuff you can already find all over the net

• @Woolridge said:

if there's no need to do anything in order to achieve the same as everyone else gets then where's the point in even taking part in it?

Starting food gives you about 40 sp/day, if i remember correctly. Low tier prepared food gives ~150, higher tier ~300. Balancing diet can give you massive boost, reaching ~500 sp/day - but to reach that, you need to utilize almost all skill trees. Progress is made by cooperation, long-term planing and fair bit of mind-numbing work, like building concrete roads.
    Most people don't have so much time to spend.

• @Milokot show me how to get ~500/day...
    i crafted every possible food ingame and the max i could achieve without ecoylent is ~300/day
    and even then, it's just idling until you get the points to actually do something, it just cripples any reasonable progress even early on because you can't do anything to really get your progress up except focusing around food and waiting...

• Berry extract, Elk Wellington and something I don't remember, on empty stomach. Might been changed, I played till 4.2.

• I'm curious what that would be. I had made a spreadsheet to calculate the points and I think I'm close, but I can't find anything that would make more than 380 at this time. This could change once there are foods for advanced culinary.

• @darkensign If I am not mistaken players will have around a month to work on our world to prevent the meteor and even disable the meteor from coming, as well as I think we can extend the time it takes for the meteor to come. Don't quote me on that last part though. We will have quite some time to work on our planet to prevent a meteor.

• This post is deleted!

• @Woolridge said:

@darkensign well, the game is meant to be education of some sort, what would a kid learn by leveling skills up by eating good stuff and idling the rest of the time to get more points to spend?

they learn the things below,

things are not gained instantly
    that you have to work at stuff to get better.
    along with patients..

it would also teach kids that they cant not always have self gratification

it would also be good for some adults to learn these things also.

• @midn8t said:

umm well, with this eating food + idling there is no working at stuff to get better what is exactly my point why this system is just absurd in every logical way, one doesn't get better at chopping wood when all he does is sitting around eating nice stuff or doing anything except cutting wood...

• @Woolridge said:

darkensign asked this "what would a kid learn by leveling skills up"

and i replied
    they learn the things below,

along with patients..

it would also teach kids that they cant not always have self gratification

it would also be good for some adults to learn these things also.

it teachs those things that i said exactly like that.

how skill level system should work is like this.

if you are a baker and you skill is backing as first time you bake you have maybe a 90% chance of item failing not turning out bread going flat something going wrong as you work on it and try to make more bread with each success your skill level raises making it easier to make that item

that has nothing to do with eating food all day honestly that comment made no sense.

it teachs people with work comes success and it takes time to become good at things and it teachs people to stop crying about having to put effort into things because world is not easy nore is it easy to become good at something.

this give me it now attitude is what sparked the dumbing down of most video games as people keep crying that there not earning things fast enough and that things do not come with ease.

• i think you mixed up drakensign's quote of my text somehow, i was the one who asked him what a kid would learn from the current system aka get skillpoints over time to spend for skills one never osed with the only player influence being the food he consumes and nothing else

but well, i guess i should be glad that there's another one that shares my opinion

• @Woolridge

I dont know I seen comment that was put hit reply button it attached correct sentence in quotes that I was replying too..

i am not sure why it put it as you said when it was only what he said.

I was not ranting against any one in general just voicing opinion as to why i think that skill point systems are a dumb down to make the game play quicker because no one has patients anymore because every one just excepts results right away in there games and in there real life.

it be good if people taught kids that with work comes reward, instead of rewarding this constant give me now thing which seems to be plaguing everything to even work ethic...

• @midn8t
    yea, same as i do, but since a dev stated that it will be very unlikely to get learning by doing again i'm out of this waiting game

http://www.strangeloopgames.com/new-eco-trailer-released-showing-at-pax/#comment-115124

sorry, but this mediocre fantasy skillup system totally ruins that otherwise promising game for me, so well, another wasted 30 bucks on early access...

and in case a dev reads this, no i won't even try a refund because it was my own decision to back this game, even if it didn't get what i thought it would based on my alpha 1 and 2 impressions, good luck with it anyways

• that why u go on forums you ask questions and you wait and see before u put money down..

I been on forums last week just asking questions bout game find out if ill be interested in it or not.
    I am interested but its small things so far that make it hard sell for me

a lot of us have no interested in playing on a huge server with a lot of random people we enjoy smaller groups just 2 or three of us close friends playing - this game does not seem to be for groups like that.

other whys they put in NPC for people populate server with for single player or small coop game play.

other thing is this skill point system.... i got enough fast passed rpg games.

me and my friends keep eye on game see what changes as game progress but old skill system was one of things that drew us to checking out the game in first place.

the other thing thats kind of a turn off is that wording in the future justice thing with prema death I and my friends like prema death more game should play hard core like that.

but idea of prema death leading to banning person from server seems silly, it would seem like it be big enough punishment to hunt down the player - capture him - then kill him making him make a new char resting his skills to zero and taking away everything he owns.

banning an account should be option that you can always do as the owner of the server and should not be tied into some weird legal system in future.

in mean time me and my friends just wait and see and keep playing mine craft, the forest, along with savage land and stranded deep..

sure they do not have awesome eco system mechanic for game play but they have skill level system and support fewer players for game play.

• @midn8t By hosting your own server, you can pretty much escape the whole asteroid disaster by changing the settings. As of today I haven't really seen any other economy than the one we make for ourselves by trading between skills. You don't need a bunch of players to enjoy it, just host your own server

Views

Internal error.

Oops! Looks like something went wrong!