The game so far?

• I've just discovered this game and it's probably the most promising game I've ever seen and I'm really considering buying the alpha access, but I wanted to know how the simulation is holding so far.

When seeing all the mechanics of the game, I started having the "too good to be true" syndrome, like all of this wouldn't be able to work together so I wanted to know from players' experience how it's working so far. For example the economy, like the economy is supposed to work on the supply/demand mechanic but is it working? Is there some mechanics that are more chosen by players because they are more rewarding? Or for the environment (I'm not sure if this is implemented yet) is it really working like it should and are the players action influencing enough, or too much?
    In short are there mechanics that just don't work well together.

I know those are very vague questions but I really hope the game will work, I've already been interested in some other games with mechanics that also sounded too good to be true and unfortuntely it turned out to be the case. Anyway keep up the good work strangeloop because I really want this game to work :D

Views

• Disclaimer, I've only been playing for part of alpha 3 and through alpha 4.

1. Realize that it is in the alpha stage. You'll notice a forum announcement about Alpha 5 which is the environment part here http://ecoforum.strangeloopgames.com/topic/733/eco-wins-the-climate-challenge

2. Alpha 4 was a major revamping I believe, so I'm not sure how I can compare it to 3 so someone else will have to

3. I'm not sure what you mean by "Is there some mechanics more chosen by players because it's more rewarding" Players gain skill points per real life day based on their nutrition and a base rate. Even at say 300 skill points per day, many skills will require a lot of skill points, so playing by oneself is difficult. Even playing in a group where people specialize in certain areas means you need several people. Most skill points gained in the first few days of starting is 50-200 per day. If a disaster (meteor) is going to happen, it takes quite a bit of specialized teamwork. In the current dev server, we have one researcher, 2.5 cooks of various skills, two smelters, two bricklayers, etc. There's a lot of sharing going on there.

With the people I've seen so far, they're new and trying things out so don't really go into bartering. But we do give them some free things to help out. Some have helped out with their labor, some joined and helped by taking skills. Someone had a forum post about economy and trying to work this process using stores vs sharing, so it's really up to how all the players want. Money doesn't exist (or at least doesn't in the early activity for a player). While I used to give away some of the lesser foodcrafts, I eventually set up a store which I set up some trades so that someone who wanted food x, would drop off the amount of raw ingredients it would take me to make that food x. This way, anyone in the world could do it, not just the people I was working with in a shared capacity. I don't know how something like that would work in later game points. As an exaggeration, how do you decide what a computer is worth if the player only has meat and potatoes to give.

• Ok I thought some mechanics were already implemented but apparently they are not so I can understand that it's hard to say if it would work or not ^^'. And what I meant by mechanics more rewarding than others is in term of value, are there jobs that requires a bigger or equal amount of work as other jobs but aren't as important, making them less valued by players and therefore making some mechanics of the game not exploited?

Btw I'm sorry if I make a lot of mistakes and I'm hard to understand because my english isn't perfect.

• I see, I think.
    Yes, some game mechanics have yet to be implemented. While there is some pollution (making metal makes scrap tailings that have no use and are garbage and this can pollute the ground), more is planned as per the link. I believe the same thing for electricity. Power is there in terms of burning wood and coal for campfires, stoves and smelting ore, but there seems to be more planned.

Mechanics in terms of skills: I don't know much about late game skills due a loss of a saved session that had to restart (nuclear physics, electronics), the early game skills most of the skills are needed in order to advance. People put points into basic survival skills (chopping trees to get wood, digging dirt/moving broken stone, breaking stone & ore). From there, in a group who shares everything, people split up because all of the skills are needed and at that point, one person cannot get all of those skills efficiently. Smelting, Masonry, Agriculture and Cooking. There are some areas within those that are currently "less valued" but this may change and I may be wrong about them due to not knowing the late game skills. For example, glassmaking (within Masonry) does not yet have a major use that I was able to see. However, I'd say that most skills are equally critical to get ingots from smelting ore, bricks from masonry, cooked food for better skill points and making doing actions, and being able to make those crops & seeds so people can cook food. bricks and iron are needed to make a stove and kitchen for the cook, and all of it is needed to unlock other skills. Even guessing, agriculture helps to get the plants needed for biofuel later on.

I think I know what you mean. Like in some mmorpgs, taking points and having to train in Archery, fletching (arrowmaking), alchemy and cooking (where food is not necessary) is kind of pointless because it didn't do much and was harder to train than other skills which did more damage or had more effect in helping other people. The most I was able to make was pies that healed people or gave mp and in terms of healing, a spellcaster was better for it. I still took it, one of the few who did in that game. It wasn't until a later update that those skills became needed to make special items or dyed items to change it's color. (Yes, I know this sounds like a manga or book storyline but I'm obviously not the only person that took useless skills that required more work. I did this in a Microsoft game in 1999 and at that point, people were laughing about why I was running from cows, which gave me trouble to take them down, but still needed them for meat. Despite that I still take those skills in any game I'm able to). I'd say that so far, this game isn't like that.

• Thank you, now if skills and jobs are correctly balanced I hope that the other mechanics that are about to come will too.

Views

Internal error.

Oops! Looks like something went wrong!