Some work towards promoting the running of servers and increasing player activity?

• I love the idea of this game... But you're going to die out if players start thinking this game is dead and telling potential buyers not to invest because there are no servers...

I think after the next alpha release... you should get some developers to focus on improving the multiplayer experience in some non-gameplay related ways

by that i mean something like a master server list (i think that's the term i'm looking for)... so when we start the game, we get a list of all running servers, and a tab with server's we've favourited or previously visited... This will promote people running servers, It will provide an easier way for players to find online servers that have active players (if you let us see the number of players online... which would really be a must). Being easier to find, makes it easier to justify spending a little money on a dedicated server.

I would also suggest running a few servers yourselves. Contact some reasonably priced game server hosts and enquire about their service hosting your game (ties in with getting players to run their own servers 24/7... If it's as easy as click, pay, play.... you don't need to mess around with FTP to upload the relevant files etc). At the very least, if you guys can get your own servers running 24/7, your players can start being MUCH more active... which will ultimatley speed up your development process.... More active players means more chance of finding bugs (you probably already knew that)

Moving away from the multiplayer aspect a little.... You NEED to keep your players interested... they need to believe this game is still being developed.... realistically, they arent going to check this website daily .... I've only had the game a day... so i dunno if you guys have an updater distributed with the game... But i'd recommend some way to make players know there's an update when they run the game, and then, you can try to push out weekly, or monthly updates (even if they are hotfixes or tiny patches that fixes one bug a week)... this will keep your players interested, they will be looking forward to the next update to see what you have fixed or added.

I hope you'll seriously consider these tips... You NEED to make this game's player base more active.... at this moment in time, i wouldn't recommend buying the game to my friends because it is clearly designed for multiplayer, but there are too few players actually playing.
    on a non-critical note... i LOVE the concept and hope i get the chance to play this game as part of a community soon :D

Views

• I second this post.

• A server list has actually been implemented already and ready for release in Alpha 4.

Also, I happen to own DBMHosting.com and I'm working on providing hosting, which will release around Alpha 4.

I am a Wolf-Tier backer and a Volunteer on the forums helping out with Bug reports, Support and Moderation. I am not a StrangeLoopGames Employee / Developer.

I am the founder of DBM Hosting. High quality server hosting.

• that's awesome to hear! :D

any idea what kind of prices you'll be offering for a cheap server?

If i cancel my Minecraft server (which is sitting empty) on nitros networks I'll have an extra £10 a month to spend on another game server :P

• @jamiemac262 said:

any idea what kind of prices you'll be offering for a cheap server?

Prices are being revised for beta 4

Current pricing scheme for Beta 3 is rather expensive because the server is so inefficient with resource management. Beta 4 has resolved a lot of these issues.

I am a Wolf-Tier backer and a Volunteer on the forums helping out with Bug reports, Support and Moderation. I am not a StrangeLoopGames Employee / Developer.

• @Metrotyranno

if you create your own dedicated server does it show up on the list also ?

for example like ark or project zomboid or forest.

• Yes, The server will show up in the list (By default I think but don't quote me on that)

It is toggleable in the network settings I believe.

• Personally, I would really enjoy a cloud-based server favorites ability, I play on two of my devices (desktop and laptop) and having separate, local server favorites lists is mildly annoying. Not a big issue, I could just remember the servers I like, but storing favorites strangeloop server-side would be preferable.

• @quakken

@midn8t said:

@Metrotyranno

if you create your own dedicated server does it show up on the list also ?

for example like ark or project zomboid or forest.

well yes and no The ark server list is kind of annoying at times, I would hope that when you are hosting your own they allow you just to put in IP address and connect Ark rely completely on list updating and sometimes that just does not work well. - ARK honestly is closes thing platform in a game that has a cloud based server list. meaning a server that keeps track of a list of servers when people make a server automatically with no way to enter in a server ip manually.

cloud hosting is just nothing more then a fancy way of saying server that you can connect to. Cloud is new reference for internet as in the server is in cloud or on internet.

so I think what you are asking for are dedicated servers that are hosted by the software developer them self besides player run servers.

Views

Internal error.

Oops! Looks like something went wrong!