Did this game die?

• I just got this game and every server i have found, i either cant connect or i get in and its nothing but black blocks everywhere (which i assume is that the meteor hit) I do not have the mental capability to try host a server. Every post on here is also like 4 months old so i'm assuming everyone just left?

Views

• I dont know, honestly seems like noones here. But when I asked a question I got an answer rather quickly so can't say its totally dead.

• Interest is going to come and go in waves up to the steam release. Most people are waiting on alpha 4 or otherwise.

• I found some servers which work (including other gamers on a few), but I can understand why there are usually no players and I doubt the next alpha version will change a lot. There's pretty much no eco simulation at all. Just extremely annoying wood cutting in a boring landscape (no diversity at all) and you have to start from the beginning on each server which sucks, when there are just some trolls killing your nerves. I had really hoped for a simulation game with a little scientific notch as well as some political extras, but I guess this hope was pretty dumb. Now there's just an expensive minecraft-clone, but not a single reason to buy this game (as long as if you're not as dumb as I was). It's not a god game, it's an ant game. Maybe I'll take a look in a year or two again, but I guess I better stick to some other games. (Don't get me wrong: there are some beautiful graphics and some players obviously have fun, so this game is absolutely right for some and maybe even for you, but I can understand that there are just a few guys and girls who appreciate such a gameplay)

• @kuddel said:

a little scientific notch as well as some political extras, but I guess this hope was pretty dumb. Now there's just an expensive minecraft-clone, but not a single reason to buy this game (as long as if you're not as dumb as I was). It's not a god game, it's an ant game. Maybe I'll take a look in a year or two again, but I guess I better stick to some other games. (Don't get me wrong: there are some beautiful graphics and some players obviously have fun, so this game is absolutely right for some and maybe even for you, but I can understand that there are just a few guys and girls who appreciate such a gameplay)

i set up a server as well.. and well i do not quite agree with you. the version you play is a very early build. like a prototype and its missing most of the systems. next alpha version has huge changes and changes many of the alpha 3 systems including how buildings work. landscape has incredibly improved and so on. take a look here and compare what you see now and how alpha 4 looks =) https://www.facebook.com/EcoVideoGame/ so i would not give up yet .. and well you can help development with ideas and feedback that is heavily valued here ! =)

So you can see from the images that the landscape has improved and big changes have been made, that's why i feel you are wrong on how alpha 4 will be. But yea its a very special kind of game and you are right that it might not be for everyone. its not like minecraft even though it uses some basic elements that come with voxel engines and games like this. Also there is a deep eco simulation that you might not see right away. Animal and plant life and cycle is fully simulate ( though still needs work) right now . Pollution is simulatet ( also still needs work compared to alpha 3)

That's my personal view at least ;)

• @NoBlackThunder said:

i set up a server as well.. and well i do not quite agree with you. the version you play is a very early build. like a prototype and its missing most of the systems. next alpha version has huge changes and changes many of the alpha 3 systems including how buildings work. landscape has incredibly improved and so on. take a look here and compare what you see now and how alpha 4 looks =) https://www.facebook.com/EcoVideoGame/ so i would not give up yet .. and well you can help development with ideas and feedback that is heavily valued here ! =)

So you can see from the images that the landscape has improved and big changes have been made, that's why i feel you are wrong on how alpha 4 will be. But yea its a very special kind of game and you are right that it might not be for everyone. its not like minecraft even though it uses some basic elements that come with voxel engines and games like this. Also there is a deep eco simulation that you might not see right away. Animal and plant life and cycle is fully simulate ( though still needs work) right now . Pollution is simulatet ( also still needs work compared to alpha 3)

That's my personal view at least ;)

Well, I must admit, that my words might have been a little bit harsh due some frustration. There are nice aspects which I didn't mention. But the gameplay is just not what I was expected when I read first about this game, saw some videos of the engine, read some interviews and such. Honestly, I would be really happy to see some other game on the long run, but the development seems to aim for other kind of gamers. And that's fine, it's not my decision, just my opinion. I could think of many great things when simulating a planet including climate aspects, politics, environmental impacts, wildlife and such. But I would like to try them out, even in single player. But not being "exhausted" for not playing a couple of days and spending hours of hours just cutting wood. I don't really mind the bugs and such, since I knew, that I "join" this game in an early stage and that many features are missing at the beginning. But even if those annoucements become real some day in Alpha 0.4, some beta or the final game sometime: I don't think that's what I (personally!) was expected and when I talked to some other players (which is absolute not representative and just a emotional/personal guess), they were disappointed as well. I had and still have the feeling, many people were excited about a game which is a mixture of games like black & white, godus (at an early stage before it got messed up), simcity, superpower 2 (without warfare), universim, universe sandbox (on one planet) etc., and being a little bit more "mature" (not cartoon-ish style graphics and "cute" animations of animals), but rather, as I called it, scientific. The news about the White House, the sustainability focus etc. were extremely interesting. And the graphics are fine. I saw a lot of pretty sundawns and such. But no real seasonal changes, which are not that important for me. I was more intersted in how the earth changes do to actions of the player(s). And pretty graphics and landscapes are nice to have, but not that necessary for me. A 2D game with good algorithms can be more interesting.

tldr: I was expecting more like a simulator of a planet/earth with all its aspects and also many tools to play (and even mess) around and maybe even learn something about environmental, social and political things. But also have the possibility to have a little fun if you just have a few hours on your own to play this game (or better said: simulator). I didn't think of another Minecraft game to shape every little piece of earth on my own and spend so many hours without any visible changes in the game (regardless if you play alone or with a dozend of other users).

Anyhow, I would be very happy to be surprised some day. But so far I'm quite unsure if this is the right game for me/us (which, of course, does not include the "normal" player!) and I know that the developers have to look for a wide range of potential buyers. So please don't take my critics personally.

• i don't take it personally just had the urge to point my view out. criticism is important to raise to from people who see things differently. Its in general very good to have good conversation about things. This is how you improve. I know John values every feedback and i am sure he will value your feedback too =)

• Hey Kuddel, thanks for the feedback, what you describe is exactly what we intend to build. We're very early in production still, so you've got to use a lot of imagination. But the vision for the game has always been and will be 'the individual vs society vs environment', finding your role as an individual within an economy, government, and ecosystem, and founding that in scientific simulation.

We have a long way to go before we hit that goal, but we're making steady progress (better than I expected even), and we have a full year of funding remaining, not even counting any new funds we'll receive. That gives us the freedom to keep the game off Steam (since we don't need the money) and wait till its really polished before we make it widely available there. The Kickstarter backers and early buyers now are people who want to help us get there with their feedback and be part of the process, have an influence on the direction of the game (which is why we have the Dev Tier as well). So hope you'll stick with us, check it out as we update, give us feedback on what works and what you'd like to see, and we promise to listen and incorporate the ideas we can.

Alpha 4 is all about government + economy + graphics improvement. Alpha 5 will be about ecosystem/animal/pollution simulation. And after that comes beta, which is a polish coat on everything, and then Steam Early Access after that. No hard dates on that, but we're going to not rush it, much better to have something polished before we go mainstream.

Thanks again for the feedback and dont hesitate to reach out if you have any other ideas/suggestions to share, john@strangeloopgames.com

-JohnK

• I have a server as well nsfleco.ddns.net just started 5/10/16 :D Got a ts as well just PM me for info!

Views

Internal error.

Oops! Looks like something went wrong!