Community Help Wanted - Tech Tree

• Hey all, just a heads up we're thinking of building a system that will make it easier for players to help suggest balancing changes to the game. We may do a system where you can export/import all the items/skills/research/animal etc numbers from the game, making it easy to tweak and balance everything.
    Balancing is a huge task so will be great to have help from a wide range of people on that. Any ideas how we might run that process let me know.

Views

• Hey JohnK

I don't own the game yet as i have to wait for PayPal ^^. But to transfer this data it might be usefull to have a ingame UI for bug reporting like Subnautica have (Press F6 or something). It just creates a screenshot and marks it with game version a custom description and a menu to choose priority. This gets uploaded to a hosted space.
    So instead of a screenshot it could create a txt or whatever file with the datas you need. Otherwise just upload the savegame if it's not to big.
    With this solution any owner can upload datas without register to a forum or webspace or whatever.

The result looks like this

Greetings Apop

• Great idea!

• Is there no way to have the client automatically upload usage statistics? You might want to make the process as simple or just automated as you want data from the whole player base, not just those intent on being good testers (could potentially bias your results).

• Yeah maybe do some kind of automatic error report that is sent to you. That way you can see if there are recuring bugs and things like this. You could add some error codes to sort them without too much trouble.

It also could be interesting to run servers without anyone in it to see the ecosystem balancing itself out and try different values of reproducing/killing/dying/eating to see if we can get something nice and balanced from the begining.

• Sounds like a great idea. Looking forward to it

• @HIT said:

Yeah maybe do some kind of automatic error report that is sent to you. That way you can see if there are recuring bugs and things like this. You could add some error codes to sort them without too much trouble.

It also could be interesting to run servers without anyone in it to see the ecosystem balancing itself out and try different values of reproducing/killing/dying/eating to see if we can get something nice and balanced from the begining.

Yeah but i think the game will not recognize an unbalanced seed as an error as the math behind it works well. Maybe integrate a value check for the first few days after start a server. If one or multible of those values turns bad in this time it might create an automatic "unbalanced seed report". Like if to many animals die or one of the simulation layers goes wild.

@darkensign
    If you collect datas from all the players you might have the problem to have too much data and no idea which one works fine and which one you have to take a closer look at.

@JohnK
    A good thing to include in the uploaded datas would be the last steps the player made. Maybe with some kind of log file with the last 100 steps/actions the player made. This could be really helpful to reproduce the bug/error and locate it in the source code. But it's just an idea :) as im not really into programming and just have some basic knowledge. But as i'm used in early access and reporting bugs i often see that players forget to tell or don't know how to reproduce a bug.

• @Apop85 said:

@HIT said:

Yeah maybe do some kind of automatic error report that is sent to you. That way you can see if there are recuring bugs and things like this. You could add some error codes to sort them without too much trouble.

Yeah but i think the game will not recognize an unbalanced seed as an error as the math behind it works well. Maybe integrate a value check for the first few days after start a server. If one or multible of those values turns bad in this time it might create an automatic "unbalanced seed report". Like if to many animals die or one of the simulation layers goes wild.

@darkensign
    If you collect datas from all the players you might have the problem to have too much data and no idea which one works fine and which one you have to take a closer look at.

@JohnK
    A good thing to include in the uploaded datas would be the last steps the player made. Maybe with some kind of log file with the last 100 steps/actions the player made. This could be really helpful to reproduce the bug/error and locate it in the source code. But it's just an idea :) as im not really into programming and just have some basic knowledge. But as i'm used in early access and reporting bugs i often see that players forget to tell or don't know how to reproduce a bug.

I haven't played the game long enough to determine the time span of changes to effects, but I would think not even 100 steps is enough.
    In terms of data gathered, I would think if the server could log everything during alpha and perhaps beta, then despite the performance hit, the log combined with the player complaint would be a massive advantage in pinpointing balance issues.

• @Flirtle yeah shure 100 steps might not be enough but it was just an idea ;) at the end the devs have to decide what data they need to work with. I just thought about keeping the amount of datas as less as possible. That's why i started with 100 steps.

• @HIT said:

A fast forward God mode where you could watch the world evolve would be game in itself. Can you figure out a parameter set that results in a stable and interesting planet?

Views

Internal error.

Oops! Looks like something went wrong!