Seasons

• Has there been any discussion of the game having seasons in it?

Since I know 1 day real time ~ 1 year of eco time I am not sure if it would match exactly to that same time schedule, but that could be worked out. Heres one idea, Since the average game is going to last around 30 days before the meteor strikes what if every week was a season, or maybe even shorter then that, every 3 days the seasons changed? Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall. Each season could have certain pros and cons, for example, Spring and summer plants grow faster, but wild fires are more common. In winter the risk of fire is lowered, but food and growing becomes a challenge. I think that would be a interesting aspect to add to the game.

Views

• +1

I am a Wolf-Tier backer and a Volunteer on the forums helping out with Bug reports, Support and Moderation. I am not a StrangeLoopGames Employee / Developer.

I am the founder of DBM Hosting. High quality server hosting.

• I admit it's a good idea, i'd love to see it ingame!

• Seqsons would be nice. It could affect how plants grow. Meaning people need to stack up in food before winter comes

• A possibility is that winter freezes over the waters and will stop watermills from operating. But as a benefit transportation over ice and the ability to store the ice to preserve food?

I am a Wolf-Tier backer and a Volunteer on the forums helping out with Bug reports, Support and Moderation. I am not a StrangeLoopGames Employee / Developer.

• Maybe, if seasons isn't able to work under the planned time scale (1 day being 1 full year) you could instead have season-like periods. For example, peak warming and cooling years.

Since we know that the Biomes have their habitat determined by in game conditions such as elevation, a wold that's large enough should already have snowy regions. However, if wind patterns were introduced you would get things like polar winds. You would also have wind sheer between mountains that might be buffered by trees. If players destroy trees that act as a wind break that should cause such winds to pick up which would turn impact the temperatures of farmland - for better or for worse. Of course, that means wind mills would have variable benefits as well depending on location and surrounding conditions.

• @Elliander I think thats a smart idea, if seasons doesn't work to still have a variation in climate and temperature would be nice.

@Metrotyranno Brilliant Idea! Having water freeze over and stop watermills would be a great affect from winter, and maybe you could use torches or something to create heat to thaw the water if you really needed it?

• I think a better way to keep it flowing is by using tools to break open the river and figure out a way to keep it moving so it doesn't easily freeze.

• What seasons could do is cull or limit the expansion of some animals and plants - presumably, on a spherical planet with some axial tilt, the seasons would vary by latitude and hemisphere, which could periodically extinguish or limit plants and animals from some terrain. The institution of an ice age or worldwide heat wave or drought could probably be based off of this incremental change.

Insolation (the amount of sun energy that a region gets) can vary by season, and calculations for this would reduce solar energy collection during different seasons, as well as reduce the amount of available energy for plants, also (besides the cold) affecting which plants survive.

• +1 @Gritmonger and thread

Adding to the idea of seasons on a global scale, climate conditions should also be dependent on where in the world you are. E.g. Locations closer to the equator don't really have a "Winter" so much as wet and dry seasons. This also has an impact on species able to survive there. Tropical plants would also grow faster than temperate and cold climate plants.

It sounds like tropical living would be a big bonus, but a down side could be that building maintenance may increase slightly due to increased moisture/humidity effects, not to mention cyclones/hurricanes and monsoonal rains washing away unsecured topsoil.
    The effects of exhaustion in humidity may also make construction slower. Air conditioning could help but then there's the increased energy requirements of this, as well as possible production of greenhouse gases or waste products.

It really depends on what, and how many, real world conditions are wanted [at least initially]. Too many factors and the game becomes too hard to get started.

• I don't think that all of the water should freeze over. I think that it should be a certain distance from shore that it will freeze over. That way large fast moving rivers which in all likely hood wouldn't freeze in RL would still stay open.

• Maybe freezing needs to be based on how fast/slow the water is - fast moving water has more energy so less likely to freeze. Whereas at sea the water is slow moving so it's more likely to freeze.

In addition, however, freezing happens closer to the coast. Further out to sea it's less likely to be frozen because water stays warm longer than land.

Oh and I found a good article: http://www.alcademics.com/2012/01/how-water-freezes.html

• If you start getting into water currents you have to consider that water carries heat in currents. This is why Nova Scotia is significantly warmer than Alaska despite being at the same relative position: one Coast has the current and the other doesn't.

Also, freezing occurs from the top down. The ice actually forms an insulation layer which protects life underneath. If it gets cold enough though it can get really sick, but otherwise it tends to be more broken up the deeper the water area is or the closer it is to a heavy motion like a waterfall.

However, speaking strictly about gameplay, I'm not so sure if freezing water at all is a very good idea. It means shutting down the water mill, for example.

•  Seasons are sounding more like annoying obstacles than cool and interesting additions. 
     I like the idea of seasons and climates, but I think there should be pros and cons in each season. And personally I think seasons should happen much more often, lasting so that a year of seasons happens 2-3 times in an irl day since each day is a year. Speaking of, how long are the in-game day/night cycles? Seasons should last at least a few in game days. I think that seasons should last an hour or two ish, but they shouldn't fit evenly in a day, that way if a person were to play at the same time every day, he/she wouldn't be stuck in the same season.
     However, seasons need to be coordinated with the farming system. It wouldn't work well if crops took a day to grow and it was winter twice in that day. 
     Also, northern and southern hemisphere should have opposite seasons like on earth.
     My opinion on freesing water is that any still water could freeze depending on if it was cold enough for that depth while any water that's moving can't be frozen.
     P.S. Alaskan wood(/tree?) frogs are neat. They freeze solid in the winter and thaw out in the spring.

Views

Internal error.

Oops! Looks like something went wrong!