Property Ownership

• I was curious: How exactly is property claimed in the game? I know that there are probably multiple approaches given the type of government (and I imagine a Kingdom government might use the system all land belongs to the crown) but if I was the first player in the world what's to stop me from claiming everything? Or, conversely, what's to stop others from stealing my land?

Will there be rules like "Adverse Possession" like we have in the real world where, if someone else builds on your land uncontested, it becomes theirs after a set time frame? Or rules where you have to defend the land or else have it be taken over by squatters?

What happens if you claim land, and then a new government forms and decides not to honor your claim. What can you do? What are the consequences of such an event?

Views

• I'm curious about this as well. I'm also curious about how governments are formed.

• If I understand correctly: Regardless of the type of government in place, the players can propose a vote to change the government type. So if you are the only one in the server you can set yourself as dictator, but when a few other people enter they can make it a democracy.

The main problem with this, of course, the the so-called "Tyranny of Democracy" where the majority voice can impose it's collective will on the minority. What makes it a problem of course is that the government can choose not to acknowledge your property claim. Suppose you put a great deal of work into developing (with your own resources) a fancy complex of many interconnected buildings. You are wealthy, but most players are not wealthy. They could vote to turn your property into community property and there's nothing you can do about it.

In the worst case scenario, suppose that a server is small. A group of people who know each other outside of the game decide to troll the server. They outnumber the active players in the world so can easily overthrow the government, impose a dystopian regime, and wreck the wold.

I think there should be some mechanism to protect the minority from the majority - but the issue of course is where to allow it. Although, with a criminal justice system enabled, it would make such a scenario less destructive. Players could try ignoring the law.

• I don't think every government should be able to be overthrown via a vote. If you have a monarchy/feudal system the rule of law comes from the top down. The people can say "we want a democracy" and from the top the ruler could "placate" by forming a parliament with some limited authority. They could demand more power and the king could say "no" then the only resolution is to accept the government or overthrow via revolution.

• I agree. Maybe (hopefully) it's a system where the open vote for government is only until one is established at which point it's either impossible or more difficult via a public vote unless the government type enables such?

Actually, I can system very interesting for worlds that start out closed and then become public. Maybe the admin is king, and the starting members of the world nobles. Everyone else to join are plebs without the right to own property or cast a vote and remain that way unless given that right by the King. Certainly help protect against briefing. Maybe the society could set up its own criteria for what you have to do to gain the right to vote at that point. Such a model certainly wouldnt be possible if a public vote can change everything

• If I would setup a feudal system of government. I'd want Citizenship earned through taxes. Every resident is taxed and when they meet a certain contribution threshold citizenship is granted. They could then move up the societal ladder via further contributions and quest. That way they're not only helping the community via taxes, but are also actively participating in the economy.

Views

Internal error.

Oops! Looks like something went wrong!