Law for Minimal Distance Claim from another Property?

• Need a Law Option to set " Distance from another Claim "

example ...... Prevent other players from claiming to close to another claim plot like a 2 Claim Distance

When attempting to " claim property "

• Condition
      - If "Near" "Numeric Comparison" "Distance" "2" of "Claim Property"
      - Then "Prevent"
      - Otherwise "Allow"

Views

• I like the sound of this, though I can see that it could be used to grief people.

eg someone could go around claiming every 5th tile:
    T=claimed
    x=unclaimed/unclaimable by others

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxTxxxxTxxxxTxxxxTxxxxTxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

15 claim flags have been used but 345 tiles have effectively been rendered unclaimable (23*15), which is a little broken given the size of the map and how many flags people actually get. Granted the area unclaimed isn't safe but no one is going to be able to use it effectively.

It would be very hard to balance a mechanic like this. The easiest way would be to just increase the number of claim flags given so people can use some for empty space, but then the point is that everyone is going to be crammed in together if there are many players.

• by then its a noticeable amount that its a grief and its a Ban shortly after its discovered than someone claim all around the player adjacent

T= ur claim
    g=griefer
    x=unclaim

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxggggggxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxgTTTTgxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxgTTTTgxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxggggggxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Surely that is also a noticeable griefing? especially if the admin is made aware, it would then be a ban/claim removal process anyway.

The main difference is the sheer scale that having it would cause, after all having it would also make it far easier for someone to surround you:

Standard surround where both players have the 20 starting flags:

T = Your claim
    J = Griefer claim
    X = Unclaimed

XJJJJJX
    JTTTTTJ
    JTTTTTJ
    JTTTTTJ
    JTTTTTJ
    XJJJJJX

This setup has a block 5*4 (20 property claims total) of your claims, but takes 18 property claims of the griefer to effectively surround.
    This leaves the griefer 2 claims to use "properly"

Surround with 2 gap buffer:

T = Your claim
    J = Griefer claim
    X = Unclaimed/Unclaimable

XXXJXJXJXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    JXXXXXXXXXJ
    XXXTTTTTXXX
    XXXTTTTTXXX
    XXXTTTTTXXX
    XXXTTTTTXXX
    JXXXXXXXXXJ
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXJXJXJXXX

This setup has a block 5*4 (20 property claims total) of your claims, but this time only takes 10 property claims of the griefer to effectively surround.
    This leaves the griefer 10 claims to use "properly" which is 8 more than if there was no rule and I don't think this would be immediately obvious as a grief to most people.

I would much rather have the first option because it is causing the griefer to be worse off.

Either way it would be nice to have some sort of mechanic to stop people griefing but no matter the game, if it is a public server there will almost always be griefers. The best thing to do in that instance is report the grief, and don't rise to the bait of insulting them as that's exactly what they want :)

It would be an interesting mechanic to have in the game but as I said, hard to balance.

• It only takes 1 claim adjacent to your claim to ruin ur mood, not 8 to 10

what is the law to you if you dont have option to inforce players to space themselves apart ...... sure making a law Zone works but you think you would keep updating that every time a new claim is designated every 24hrs?

• I would like to see the ability to server claim, make certain land "unclaimable" - for town planning purposes "highway goes here" etc.

additionally as an admin command (/claim for instance) adding x/y co-ords (or xy start and xy end for an area claim)

• Good points, I'd like to add more government control of land (unclaimable land, eminent domain, etc). Something we will do with Districts, which is finer control of land area related to laws.

Grief protection is another one. My question is: if you dont want anyone claiming the land adjacent to you, why not claim it yourself? Or leave a buffer from where you build to the edge of your property.

• I like the idea of making it so that a government could "Claim land" for towns/roads etc.

I feel that to implement this you would need to have a "Town planning" board of sorts that isn't owned by a single player but rather the leader/council to ensure that it can't be as easily abused and the land is automatically passed to the next elected government.

It would also be nice to see a method of town planning for buildings (e.g. build a Ghost version in an area that has been pre-designated for the building that has to be approved by a planning committee of sorts), I think that having something in this vein would make it easier to keep a "design" or feel for a town consistent.

• we're currently working on the having our the server owner / mayor etc claim town land, on multiple deeds, and then sell those deeds to players as building permits.

• @JohnK said:

Good points, I'd like to add more government control of land (unclaimable land, eminent domain, etc). Something we will do with Districts, which is finer control of land area related to laws.

Grief protection is another one. My question is: if you dont want anyone claiming the land adjacent to you, why not claim it yourself? Or leave a buffer from where you build to the edge of your property.

missing the point..but i gues its ok to " Waste " claim plots and build small in a little small bubble.

• Agree with Senji on that one, Law abiding citizens taking measures to protect themselves is one thing, but to have to buy your neighboring blocks of land to make sure you can get out if someone blocks your driveway?

• That is pretty much how land disputes were settled pre government. Trap the land you wanted until they gave up/died then take the land. Gov helps that by making areas that can't be blocked in eg roads. You just have to get a gov setup and get communal planning.

If it's a completely solo game you want then unfortunately you either have to play on a private server or deal with griefers alone. No two ways about it. Griefers are easier to deal with as a group than solo.

Views

Internal error.

Oops! Looks like something went wrong!