Alpha 6 Deforestation mechanic

• Just me, or is the whole new woodchip thing (created by falling trees) destruction WAY out of proportion? 5.6's destruction of ground flora was bad enough (but reasonable), but in real life, fallen trees (and matter from falling trees) do NOT prevent regrowth - in fact, it does the opposite.

Would there be an equivalent mechanic to represent selective logging, instead?

Also, speaking game-wise, efficiency in a way is still a "reward" mechanic - but this is just punishment with no redeeming value for doing something that everyone starts off with.

Views

• The goal is to make clear cut forests a blight on the environment, that are a lot of work to clear up. Right now the woodchip art doesnt capture that, we're going to fix the art to look more like this:

Untitled.png

• I don't have a problem with the way trees are right now, but I just wanted to say that there is a psychological aspect to those interactions.
    If trees destroy things then trees are a hazard and must be eliminated in the eyes of the player.

If I let trees grow around my fields somebody could cut one and I lose my crops. They also are annoying around roads as they block cycles.

So in game there is an incentive to shovel up all the trees and put roads and concrete everywhere.

It is good or bad depending on what one want the game to be. It makes modernisation more realistic when towns are all concreted up and dirtless, But it doesn't exactly make the players love nature.

• @Mog said:

I don't have a problem with the way trees are right now, but I just wanted to say that there is a psychological aspect to those interactions.
    If trees destroy things then trees are a hazard and must be eliminated in the eyes of the player.

If I let trees grow around my fields somebody could cut one and I lose my crops. They also are annoying around roads as they block cycles.

So in game there is an incentive to shovel up all the trees and put roads and concrete everywhere.

It is good or bad depending on what one want the game to be. It makes modernisation more realistic when towns are all concreted up and dirtless, But it doesn't exactly make the players love nature.

Not to mention this is just asking for accidents and griefing to happen.
    I used to line roads (6 wide, both sides) with trees and intersperse trees with farms for income in both logs and crops. Now, I'm not so certain.

Also, with the onset of tool durability, this is just asking for newbies to waste all time and resources cleaning up after themselves and perhaps get themselves stuck.

• Honestly after playing with it a bit I like the 0.6 tree cutting. It makes a big mess, you do feel like you are impacting your surroundings.
    And it's super grindy, but I like that part too, it means that maybe some people won't like the activity and ask others to do it for them. For now on the servers I play I have a hard time trading and specializing. Everybody is soloing everything.

• Fortunately tools can't actually break - they just get less efficient so it's impossible to completely deadlock yourself.

I've always felt that the goal of the game isn't to make everyone eco-friendly right off the bat - it's about having players notice their impact on the world and how their choices can affect it. Whether they choose to change how they play is up to them (and to some extent their peers) so long as they have the tools to do so.

• Ecoylent is not intended to replace every meal, but it can replace any meal

Views

Internal error.

Oops! Looks like something went wrong!