5.6 Server Crash on Startup


  • Hello,

    Whenever I try and start a 5.6 server, it always crashes. If I try and get it to make a large world (1000,1000) it never even finishes the world generation before it stops responding. If I try and get it to make a smaller world (and I've gone to 50,50 even), it crashes with the following output:

    Unhandled Exception: System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at Eco.WorldGenerator.WorldGeneratorPlugin.<>c__DisplayClass25_0.<CreateWorld>b__8(PersistentChunk chunk)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.<>c__DisplayClass17_01.<ForWorker>b__1() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvokeWithArg(Task childTask) at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.<>c__DisplayClass176_0.<ExecuteSelfReplicating>b__0(Object ) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions) at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken) at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.ForWorker[TLocal](Int32 fromInclusive, Int32 toExclusive, ParallelOptions parallelOptions, Action1 body, Action2 bodyWithState, Func4 bodyWithLocal, Func1 localInit, Action1 localFinally)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.ForEachWorker[TSource,TLocal](IEnumerable1 source, ParallelOptions parallelOptions, Action1 body, Action2 bodyWithState, Action3 bodyWithStateAndIndex, Func4 bodyWithStateAndLocal, Func5 bodyWithEverything, Func1 localInit, Action1 localFinally)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.ForEach[TSource](IEnumerable1 source, Action1 body)
    at Eco.WorldGenerator.WorldGeneratorPlugin.CreateWorld()
    at Eco.WorldGenerator.WorldGeneratorPlugin.Run()
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(Object obj)


  • 16
    Posts
    2592
    Views
    Log in to reply


  • Same here, new server made 6 hours ago and crash.

    See crash log in attachment.

    Crash 06302530.txt



  • I was (eventually) able to get mine working by completely re-installing the server software. No idea what went wrong the first time, or what I've done differently the second time, but it is, for the moment, working.



  • Crashed again on next session. Same error. I think it's time to put this game down for a while and wait for a version that actually works.



  • I think the issue your having is that 1000x1000 is too big. I believe the devs have said to not make worlds bigger than 200x200 as it creates problems

    The Aussie 24/7 Servers Senior Admin
    https://www.aussie247eco.com/
    Server Discord https://discord.gg/Jps75CD



  • The 1000x1000 was only a test.

    Ever since I've left it at the default 100x100. I've even tried 50x50.

    When I do a clean install, I can get exactly one world to generate and play. However, when I next start the server, the world is lost, and when I use the Regenerate World server tab, I get the error again (though, if I lose the world every time I exit from it, it's not much use anyway).



  • Umm I don't know exactly how to run servers for this game but have read a bit. Are you running this on your own pc?
    Are you flushing the save when you shut down the server?
    With any luck someone who knows more than me will pop in and comment more help for you

    The Aussie 24/7 Servers Senior Admin
    https://www.aussie247eco.com/
    Server Discord https://discord.gg/Jps75CD



  • Yes, I'm running the server on the same machine as the client. I'll re-run the server (after, once again, re-installing it) and taking note of my shutdown procedure, to see if there's something I'm missing there - not that there seems to be copious amounts of doco on it.



  • A 1000X1000 world is house, over millions and some blocks and in testing taken more the 32 GB RAM and several cores and still could not complete. !000X1000 was tested by another user with a server with 64 GB RAM available and it too failed.

    There is also a bug in world generation dimensions and you can only use even numbers and current the devs recommend nothing over a 200X200 world (that is 4 times a default world) or to use 100X100 (default) or 140X140 (double size). That does not mean a 200X200 world is 200 blocks by 200 blocks, as dimensions are chunks squared - I don't remember exactly and don't have the math handy, but a 4 Times world is very large.

    There is no way at this time that a 1000X1000 world could be supported or that it not working would be considered a bug. The crash is that the game just cannot handle a world that large, and actually, at least at this time, is not meant to be that large.

    Pam
    Community Moderator
    Discord: Pam#5439
    reddit moderator: rentechd
    https://discord.gg/Mg4WJe9



  • @rentechd said:

    A 1000X1000 world is house, over millions and some blocks and in testing taken more the 32 GB RAM and several cores and still could not complete. !000X1000 was tested by another user with a server with 64 GB RAM available and it too failed.

    There is also a bug in world generation dimensions and you can only use even numbers and current the devs recommend nothing over a 200X200 world (that is 4 times a default world) or to use 100X100 (default) or 140X140 (double size). That does not mean a 200X200 world is 200 blocks by 200 blocks, as dimensions are chunks squared - I don't remember exactly and don't have the math handy, but a 4 Times world is very large.

    There is no way at this time that a 1000X1000 world could be supported or that it not working would be considered a bug. The crash is that the game just cannot handle a world that large, and actually, at least at this time, is not meant to be that large.

    Sheshh, I tried 1000x1000 ONCE - as a TEST.

    As I've said ever since, each world has been the default 100x100, and I've even tried 50x50 without success.

    Apologies if this sounds snarky, I don't mean it to, but it's been a week of no ability to play, or to find sufficient documentation to try and figure out what's going wrong.



  • After starting the Server, what is the message in Plugins -> WorldGenerator? Isn't it "idle", you are too fast with any actions



  • @Lanthian said:

    After starting the Server, what is the message in Plugins -> WorldGenerator? Isn't it "idle", you are too fast with any actions

    I'll try this out and record my steps exactly. Will post here when I get the chance, though it'll likely be tomorrow.



  • This post is deleted!


    1. Re-installed new 5.6 server.

    2. Ran Ecoserver.exe

    3. Plugins/Display shows world generating.

    4. After world generation complete, ran client.

    5. Entered world, cut down tree. Exited client.

    6. Re-entered world. Can see tree still cut down.

    7. Selected File, Save World on server.

    8. Selected Backup, Do Backup now on server.

    9. Closed both server screens.

    10. Re-started server. WorldGenerator says it's Idle.

    11. All options under File are greyed out, except for Save Stats.

    12. Entered client. Now normally the server would no longer appear, but this time (of course) it works. The tree I cut down has disappeared though, but the two logs I placed are still there.

    Anyway, dunno. This time it worked. I'll keep looking for some in-detail documentation for the server, I'm happy to spend the time learning how to use it, but I haven't found the doco for it yet.



  • Hi OzHawkeye

    there is a post pinned in support about how and where to post bugs - with instructions on using github. You might want to make a bug report about this including a link to the copy of your Game.eco and any crash logs that are generated. You can post them in a Dropbox or googledrive and link them to the bug report in github,

    This will get seen much faster by a dev is filed as a bug report in github.

    Pam
    Community Moderator
    Discord: Pam#5439
    reddit moderator: rentechd
    https://discord.gg/Mg4WJe9



  • @rentechd said:

    Hi OzHawkeye

    there is a post pinned in support about how and where to post bugs - with instructions on using github. You might want to make a bug report about this including a link to the copy of your Game.eco and any crash logs that are generated. You can post them in a Dropbox or googledrive and link them to the bug report in github,

    This will get seen much faster by a dev is filed as a bug report in github.

    Thanks :-) I'll see if I can replicate what was happening again (I assume once I click regenerate world it'll break again) and post it via the proper method. In the meantime, when I get a chance, I'll keep looking for some more thorough documentation on the server. With it's Steam launch imminent, I've been spruiking the game amongst my friends and Eco is going to be the next game in our rotation after we finished 7 Days To Die Alpha 16.


16
Posts
2592
Views
Log in to reply

Internal error.

Oops! Looks like something went wrong!