Servers going offline.

• Yes I know about the meteor and stuff but this is the 4th server I've started on and it's gone offline. This last one didn't even have a meteor. I'm getting kinda tired of having to start over from scratch repeatedly. Anyone else having this issue to?

J.S

Views

• Join GreenLeaf Server, we will never close the server!
    https://www.greenleafserver.com/

P.S: I know the feeling of having to start over, and I hate it.

• Try hosting your own server!

Server Owner of 327th Eco Server
    Join us in discord at https://discord.gg/Ddqk4Yp

• I don't know how to otherwise I would.

J.S

• Julia_Starfire

One of the great things about playing an game still in alpha is that you get in early and get to see the game develop and change. The down side is, and people are warned, that game play can be interrupted, that you can lose things and have to restart worlds, that there will be crashes and things that do not work yet, or work as they are supposed to or are even finished yet and so on. People get excited about jumping into an alpha to be 'the first to play the game' but often don't consider that playing an alpha can be a very frustrating experience. This is not the fault of the person running the server and it happens to everyone. Its something to expect and understand will happen. Developers try to do the best to kept the game as stable as possible but when new things are being added and major game changes are taking place things like world corruption and the fact that a world will no longer work when there is a version change are just things that happen with playing an alpha game. This is why we tell people that is an alpha game and what to expect and if having to restart multiple times, lose all the hard work you have done and advancement you make is a frustration to you, that its then best to wait and buy the game once its fully released and the chances of this happen are very small. Everyone playing this game at this point has this issue. And this is an issue that will continue while the game is in alpha. Once its released on Steam and is in "beta" chances are less that new versions will require world starts and that you will hit bugs that corrupt the world and force you to restart but even then it will not be a guarantee. If this is too frustrating it might be better to put the game aside for a while and come back to it when its in beta or fully release and these things are not a matter of course. Alpha 5.6 is due out shortly and it will require a new world to be started. It will have bugs and crash and have to have updates to fix the big issues so the sever can run again and things will be very rocky at first. I have some people on my server that have played 5.5.4 since it was out and made a lot of headway who have said that they are 'taking a break' over the first week or so after we update to 5.6 so that they don't have to deal with crashes and downtime and restarts and I can respect that - we will send them a email when its stable for a few days and then they will come back. We have had a couple of people just decided to put the game away and come back once it releases on Steam and we respect that too - like you they were not prepared for what 'alpha' meant and once they got a taste of it decided that restarting a great deal was not enjoyable for them and, although they loved the game when they could play they decided to wait and love it without having to start over many times.

Its your choice of course, but restarting is not an issue that can avoided by a server admin or the developers and its an issue that everyone playing an alpha game has to deal with - there is no 'fix' for it - except to wait for the game to progress in development and reach a stage where restarts and wipes are not the norm.

Pam
    Community Moderator
    Discord: Pam#5439
    reddit moderator: rentechd
    https://discord.gg/Mg4WJe9

• I think I'll wait to try it again when the update gets released. This really is the first game I've ever tried in alpha and I do enjoy it a lot. Just pulling my damn hair out with having to restart over and over. I keep getting closer and closer to gaining all the skill books then I lose it.

J.S

• I don't know how to otherwise I would.

For me, running a local server took the following. 1) download the EcoServer package from the same place as you downloaded the game client. 2) Unpack it somewhere (I have both the client and the server unpacked on my desktop, 'unpack' means to right-click it and select extract). 3) Open the unpacked folder and double-click EcoServer.exe.
    I don't think I even had to configure anything. Two server windows will pop up after step 3, wait a few minutes for the world to generate, then when you start Eco, your server should be right there on top. One potential issue is that the server runs in real time, so if your computer sleeps or shuts down for the night, so will the server and world.

Also, the server has a second window with lots of tabs. One of those lets you postpone or eliminate the meteor, in case you are into that :)

Good luck!
    p.s. There is probably a better description of this process on the Wiki or Eco home page. Hunt around for it!

• @Julia_Starfire If you'd like you can join our server! Our server has a 100% uptime and we are planning to keep it online for at least another year. It's called "327th Server No Meteor" and it's name is purple. We'd love to see you join :D

• I think her problem is less about up time and how long a server will be around then the fact that it is in alpha and therefore - like when your server goes to 5.6 the world will restart and she will have to start over. And there are bugs that happen that cause a world to have to be restarted and so on. This can be frustrating to people that are trying to 'complete' the game and never get there cause something happens. Even if she picks a server that is up 24/7, does not have a meteor that will destroy it in 30 days and force it to start over or has people that plan to keep the server around that does not mean that you won't restart. No one can promise that a world will not bug out an get corrupt or that all updates will work with every update and so on. For some people that is the downside of alpha and they just can't deal with it over the long term and find it happier to wait until the game is at a place where that is not as likely to happen at all.

Pam
    Community Moderator

• I appreciate all the invitations to the servers and I'll give it a try after the 20th of June but @rentechd is right. It's the frustration of coming closer to gaining all the skill books, not exactly completing the game because I don't think this game as a completion stage at all, and being forced to restart. Every server will be forced to restart if not to fix bug issues but also with updates. That's what sucks. If we were somehow able to keep the skills we learn and carry them over to the next new server I'd be happy to keep starting over again and again. But then I guess there wouldn't be much of a challenge in that to some.

I've met a lot of awesome people in this game that we've all worked together to learn skills together fast enough to meet the dreaded dooms day on day 30 in every server, it's just my own personal satisfaction in learning all the skills that isn't being met. That's whats ticking me off.

J.S

• Although 'holding over' skills from one update to the next would not really work as something the game could be changed to do - as that is not how the finished game would work so we would be testing the wrong thing I wonder if this is not something that modders could help with. There have been many 'admin' tools written by modders and I wonder if one could be written that would give an Admin a way to transfer player stats from one update to the next - save in one and then replace after the update. That may not work all of the time , say if player status or skills were changed in someways that just would not let the save be restored after an update or if the admin would have to wait for the modder to update the mod to work with a newer version. But maybe its possible that a modder could think of a solution for something like this

Pam
    Community Moderator

• @rentechd You mentioned in another thread that it was necessary to use admin tools to spawn one of the skill books. Would spawning in the correct books help Julia's situation? Maybe not, on a populated server the skill books will exist, but she won't have the skill points to use them. Could one possibly mod a super-food to catch up with? If so, that would solve the skill point problem without having to figure out how to transfer character data. Don't know which is harder really, just thinking out loud, I guess :)

• @Grapeseed30124 said:

@rentechd You mentioned in another thread that it was necessary to use admin tools to spawn one of the skill books. Would spawning in the correct books help Julia's situation? Maybe not, on a populated server the skill books will exist, but she won't have the skill points to use them. Could one possibly mod a super-food to catch up with? If so, that would solve the skill point problem without having to figure out how to transfer character data. Don't know which is harder really, just thinking out loud, I guess :)

There is a superfood called Ecoylent that only admins can spawn in. Eating it on an empty stomach gives you 4,000 skill points a day. That could be a solution to the problem :D

• I got to use Ecoylent in the last serve I played on and it helped a great deal with getting caught up to where I left off last. But the Admin only gave 5 due to it being around the holidays and wouldn't give anymore. Which is fine to. It was a nice kick start to getting caught up and continuing. We were well on our way to getting pumps going and making plastic before the server was shut down.

J.S

Views

Internal error.

Oops! Looks like something went wrong!