Farming Megathread go? (edited for your farming pleasure)

• So to make things easier instead of posting in my camas shortage thread I figured we'd start a new farming megathread to share ideas and discoveries with the community to help eachother out. the main reason for this is a few key things I have discovered:

1: plots will lose nutrients as you plant crops in them and will progressively get worse and worse at growing whatever plants as the nutrients are depleted.

2:Nutrient loss seems to "bleed" over into other plots, both around and below (i.e. removing the offending plot and testing the soil beneath resulted in the exact same nutrient level) I noticed that it wouldn't generally be 1 plot but plots within a semi random radius (sometimes a strip 3x10, some times 2x4, the rhyme or reason eludes me as yet.

3: Going "fallow" does restore nutrients to their "default" values over time the entire "field" (plots that are tilled and connected, like 3x3 10x10, whatever you have setup) MUST be empty of plants for it to begin recovering nutrients/moisture

4: harvest the entire field and lay it fallow ~ a day and your nutrient levels will be back to their natural state

I've edited the post to better reflect my findings and will continue to do so over time. I may make a wiki entry as well to help folks out.

my next experiment shall be on nutrient draw based on which plants as well as increasing various nutrient levels over time. any feedback or ideas would be greatly appreciated going forward.

thanks for reading, share your tips/tricks. anyone with fertilizer experience would be appreciated. I'll answer any questions folks have to the best of my abilities and I hope others will do the same.

• fertilizer 3 farming 16 food 6
    Views

• I have been experimenting for sometime with nutrient values in the soil, by removing and replacing dirt. It seems if a plant is at stage 3 you can jump stages by removing and replacing the adjacent block of dirt. This has worked for me several times even if the plant is not fully mature.

I have removed adjacent untilled soil, and replaced it with fresh dirt. This seems to help in the growing phase of the dirt. Also I have experienced that moving previously fertilized dirt helps increase the yield with the tilled dirt. I plan on doing a series with this portion of the game as soon as I buy a capture card for my laptop.

ChillBilly's Testing Server Owner
    TS3: 199.68.232.126

• @ChillBilly do you have a gforce video card? if so the Gforce Experience program allows you to do video capture and streaming directly to twitch. You can get this directly from their site http://www.geforce.com/drivers . If you have a Radeon card I am sorry I am not familiar with their program capabilities.

• Oh yes, I am aware of that. I have a gtx1050 in this laptop. I am looking more for performance and keeping the framerate up. Not to mention I am in a hotel, so the internet is not so great.

ChillBilly's Testing Server Owner
    TS3: 199.68.232.126

• @ChillBilly I run a 970m on my laptop and made quite a few videos and even streamed to twitch all while still at about 70 fps and people checking out the twitch said it was great video, if that helps at all, I know the 1050 is better than the 970m.... but just got a new computer today running a 1070 and im at 278 fps lol

• So something I found that seems to be consistent. once the "field" is empty of plants then it seems that the nutrient restoration begins. those plots that I had indicated in the 1 untilled and the 3x3 untilled are now restoring their nutrient levels after I harvested the rest of the wheat in that field. I have my fields separated by dirt roads to make my life easier. every single plot that was not regenerating nitrogen/moisture is now on it's way to recovery now that the rest of the field that it's a part of is cleared of other plants. seems to be that turning the dirt doesn't do much, but ensuring that the fields (not just individual plots) are going fallow. like I said this is working on each and every one of the plots with immediate results (like I checked before harvesting, and after and immediately after harvest they began recovery) this is even on plots that I had left tilled that were not recovering initially, so there's that folks

• Some more things I discovered. plant nutrient levels are based off of "nutrient grids" I guess I'll call them. they're 4x4 grids that start on x,y coordinates that are multiples of 4 (1,1 - 4,4, next grids would start on 5, 9, 13, 17, etc both x and y)

all plants within these grid add their nutrient drains to all of the soil within that particular grid. exactly how the drain works exactly I'm still working on, but it culminates in plant growth slowing down, stopping, or dying altogether.

a quick and dirty fix for this is to make crop strips. this entails 1 wide by however long you want crop lines. this ensures that there is only 4 plants causing a drain on the grid for any grid you would happen to be in.

the most efficient way space wise (arguably) would be to find a 4x4 grid smack in the middle of 4 of these nutrient grids and then making that into a farm this would ensure that no more than 4 plants drain on any grid. the downside is that you would have to place your next 4x4 farm outside of all 4 of those grids, etc.

• Fertilizing should be necessary, the more you plant, the more nutrition goes out ground until the ground becomes worthless for agriculture - as you said!

• Nice initiative MagicBackpack! I'm impressed with the way you make sense of these grids. My own experimentation has given much more erratic results.

Something that you probably have noticed, but that haven't been mentioned yet, is that beans actually enrich the soil with nitrogen instead of taking it away. Pretty cool feature mimicking real life! This should mean that once you have access to the higher tier fertilizer giving potassium and phosphate you can eliminate the need for nitrogen fertilizer by co-planting and/or crop-rotating with beans.

Another thing that hasn't been discussed is the fact that you can make farms that extend vertically in multiple layers by making a scaffolding of logs etc. It seems like each layer adds it's drain to the plot effectively doubling the drain for a 2 layer farm. This additive behavior might be good if co-planting beans on one of the layers though...

• So I did some research into the values that crops affect a block by. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1benxXkSXGyAf_UWlI5IUwXsGmk8-7yKzaFEd-8xS2sk/edit?usp=sharing)

I have tested co-planting and crop rotating but no success as no matter how you do it, it's always a drain on the land. Beans do not offset it by enough to warrant doing this.

I have large fields, over 200 blocks each. And i have 2x for each crop. I leave one Fallow for 24hrs whilst I use the other one then switch. But i have noticed that planting more than 1 yield of the crop within 24hrs drains the land so badly that it takes much longer to recover.

Leading me to believe that large crop fields are not a good idea and that i should be using 10x fields for each crop but on a much smaller scale, planting in the next one as I harvest.

For example -
    Wheat - Time to Maturity 4hrs (example)
    Plant in 8x8 Field, Harvest, Plant in next field.
    Do this 6 times to reach 24hrs to be able to go back to the original field and start again.

Theoretically that would work but as we know maturity time is wildly different depending on conditions.

Also i tried using Hide Ash Fertilizer on a fallow field i was leaving to recover and my result was that it affects the Base Values by the same as the tooltip. But in turn only changed predicted Nitrogen level by 1.9.

--- Values before ---

N - C25.6, P25.8, D0.5, B24
    Ph - C51.7, P51.9, D0.5, B49.1
    Pt - C50.5, P50.7, D0.5, B47.4

--- Values after 1x Hide Ash Fertilizer ---

N - C25.6, P27.7, D0.5, B29
    Ph - C51.7, P51.9, D0.5, B49.6
    Pt - C50.5, P50.7, D0.5, B47.9

*** If anyone want to collaborate on my spreadsheet let me know and i can give you access to edit it ** :)

fertilizer 3 farming 16 food 6
Views

Internal error.

Oops! Looks like something went wrong!