Camas shortage? I have a fix. 0.5.5.4 Updated Information!

• Hey folks so I was playing on MoonMaster server (fun server, currently in the process of setting up free stuff for new players for those interested) and after a few days I noticed our camas plants were in short supply (~50 world wide!) so the fix I found for it was to get into farming. after a bit of experimentation I found the best thing to do was find camas in it's natural habitat, then build crop plots and plant camas bulbs in said plot. the happy accident I found was that you can pretty much grow every plant (except desert and tundra plants) in the same biome. not quite as efficiently as elsewhere but making yourself a super farm with everything in one place is pretty efficient. one downside is camas bulbs are 0.1 kg a piece so the weight adds up, so plan accordingly as you'll probably be out in the plains away from trees and making roads is time consuming. Grassland Seed yield skill is a must to be able to get more camas per plant. so far the biome supports wheat, corn, beets, beans, huckleberries, camas, and even fiddleheads. corn takes ~10 hours to grow in the biome and its yield varies, but this should help some folks to keep their plants from going extinct. anyone who wants to join the server please don't harvest wild camas plants, I'll give you free ones as the farm produces more than enough for everyones needs. I'll be doing some experimentation with fertilizer next and I'll update once I do.

The Update: Letting your fields go Fallow does indeed work, yesterday I noticed that I had a few plots at 0.0 on nitrogen and phosphate after having a plant that wouldn't grow (wheat for those interested) that I proceeded to pull (when it's neighbors were perfectly fine on the next tilled plot over) after laying fallow for ~20 hours the soil restored itself to it's original nitrogen and phosphate levels (in keeping with similar readings with the other plots around) how long it takes to recover naturally is somewhere between 2 and 20 hours as i had checked it before logging off. the plants do suck nutrients and they do have to be replenished. what each plant requires is a mystery to me as of yet, but this means crop rotation/fertilization is an important thing to keep in mind.

Also if you have recently excavated and built up a farming "plateau (spelling?)" the soil will most likely be devoid of nutrients as I have recently discovered so if you terraform/expand your farm plan accordingly so as not to waste seeds. I did a major overhaul of my fields on sunday (05/14/2017) and have plots that are still struggling to recover as of Wednesday (05/17/2017) the plots that are struggling appear to be ones that I had "built up" as opposed to "dug out" the dug out plots seem to be doing fine from what I can see and the growth patterns support this idea.

• camas 1 ecosystem 2 farming 16
    Views

• update: haven't played much with fertilizer as of yet, however I did notice that some of my plants would die or start having reduced yield, I left the fields fallow for about 24 real hours and will let you know if it helps.

• update on laying fields fallow; inconclusive. from what I did find however having a buffer between different kinds of crops (from what I've gleaned 4 blocks is the distance needed) will prevent crop death which I think was my earliest mistake, so far blood fertilizer hasn't yielded improved results with any plants that I've tried. since establishing the farm our wild camas population has risen from 52 up to 88 at it's height and seems to have stabilized at 72 the last few days. this probably has to do with animal populations, but that's just a guess. I'll provide more info as I find it

• Something does appear to be broken. Twice now I planted where there is the right temperature and the moist level close as well. However, when I farm them and the current yields says "1" and they are fully grown, I get nothing. This now keeps happening and my world is running out of camas.

I have grown all crops, but this is the only one having a zero drop rate, except when I find them in the wild.. which will be close to none now.

Edit: I had planted 60, in the end 6 plants gave me something back, that rate is terrible.

• Farming is not a done deal or complete. Best ting to do is keep up the discussion of what you all are seeing as you play and from there the devs can tell if things are working as they expect - or not - and tweak/adjust/balance/fix what is not

Pam
    Community Moderator
    Discord: Pam#5439
    reddit moderator: rentechd
    https://discord.gg/Mg4WJe9

• So yesterday I again planted what was left; 24 seeds. I got 35 back, but have farming at +4 drop rate. So, out of 24 plants 9 returned something. This time I had kept one square free between plants in all directions. It said "max yield 1", I guess with Camas it's gambling in which you mostly lose.

I dont have this problem with Corn, beets, beans and wheat.

• Are you using the soil sampler to see what the growth rate and yield rate are.... I would be curious to know what they are on the Camas you are growing. fertilizers may be able to help quite a bit with that. For growth rate it looks as though Nitrogen will help the most and for yield it looks like Phosphorus would be best closely followed by Potassium, just remember you can over fertilize as well which will also drop those rates.

• The faming is actually not broken or anything. If you dont get enough output, you are not in the right place. There is no need to leave space between the plants. You can work a farm with 20x20 fields which each plant and you should get the plant output out of each plant. The only problem is that you dont get enough seeds from most plants, so you need the farming skill for that plant.
    However some plants really need their desired moisture. Camas wont grow on land with more than 40% und fiddleheads are very hard to grow under 75% total moisture. The other plants seem much more flexible, but all work fine if you are in the right place.

• Ya the only reason I still have some is because of my farm skill. Need to look into fertilizer also I guess. Thing with that is, that all the values shown, make it look like math, which seems like work to me. It would help when I check a plants status, it would show what it requires, instead of some values..

• what is the yield rate where you are currently growing that is shown on the soil sampler ?

• atm we dont have any full grown camas plants but the naturally growing there have a yield rate of 2.
    but i dont think thank all data in the soil sampler menu is reliable. For example i have some fern along a river, but with only 60% moisture. yield rate is 1. some give me a seed, some not but none of these give fiddleheads.
    Maybe the yield rate is not that accurate as is seems.

Fertilizers are quite diffucult, and i do not understand them. Maybe someone can test out everything and write it all in the wiki...

• I am talking about the overall yield rate not yield, in this below my yield rate is 32%. That is a very low yield rate but I am using this as an example
    crop.JPG

Ideally I want to try to plant in an area where the Overall growth rate and overall yield rate are both over 60%..... I have tried keeping these plants growing here with fertilizer but honestly it takes like 12 hours to grow and usually I get a very reduced yield... if they were above 60% I could expect the grow time to be 4 hours or less and the projected max yield to be double. The only reason I was able to pass the projected max yield was through the use of fertilizers.

I will be honest with you if this plant wasn't more just for fun I would never keep attempting to grow a plant where the growth and yield rates where below 60%. I would find a better area.

I know farming can be difficult and you cant grow all the plants in the same area, it requires you to be spread out over multiple biomes to truly get a good return. I am hoping in the future they allow something like greenhouses where you can customize the environment to the plants so that we don't have to go half way around the world to grow camas and beans since they obviously wont grow anywhere near each other with any real success. But this is alpha and agriculture is still very new, in fact its one of the newest skill sets, and I expect that there will be a lot of changes to this over time.

• @tomassonl you may want to try going to a more camas "friendly" area, projected max yield is what you want, till a plot, plant 1 camas bulb, use the soil tester, 2 or more is what you want and has worked swimmingly for me, usually it's in BFE away from forests on a higher elevation than most forests for cooler temperatures. so far planting different crops side by side hasn't yielded much positive or negative, just a few anecdotes that I still need to confirm. fertilizer hasn't yielded much one way or the other but it's also difficult to do as it's fairly cost intensive, the next few days I'll try to dive in more.

• updated the original post to try to help folks looking for farming answers, important information on nutrients and letting fields "fallow" are in it.

camas 1 ecosystem 2 farming 16
Views

Internal error.

Oops! Looks like something went wrong!