Animals affect on one another

• Hi, I don't know if I missed this somewhere or something, but does the game operate like a real food web. If hawks that eat hares go extinct, hare population goes up. If so, will their be any positive effects to killing off certain species to increase the population of another?

Views

• I would like it to be more than just food, i.e. a more in-depth simulation. Other factors, such as habitats ("animals prefer to reproduce in a certain habitat (forest/plains/near trees of type X)") should have a place too. That means while killing off predators removes pressure from a species, it's not a guaranteed way to increase its population.

• Yeah there will be a food web just like that, and habitat is one of the first factors we want to introduce beyond food. Nests and warrens will be pretty cool.

• Food webs are incredibly complex but pivotal to understanding how nature self-regulates species populations. What limitations to food web complexity will there be?
    Will the biomes incorporate zones used by current scientific knowledge e.g. terrestrial, inter-tidal, and sub-tidal zones?
    Will there be a mechanism for "species migration" should to compatible, but seperate, habitable zones be available?
    E.g. the EAC off Australia's east coast disperses many species in their larva-stage all along the coast. As the EAC changes and warms, some species are being dispersed further south. The warmer waters also means that localised conditions change to allow more tropical species to survive and establish themselves in areas where previously they were seasonal (died off in colder months).

It would seem that the player's ability to create habitable environments for the variety of species in the climate they choose to dwell is going to be a big factor. It's going to be great to see what people come up with!

• If the landscape is geomorphic and if trees are able to regrow I'd like to see Beavers make dams. Animals that are able to change their own environment and whose existence impacts the behavior of other species would be very nice - and also possibly introduce a healthy dose of annoyance to players just like in real life. Suddenly the players have to compete with animals for resources which might incline some players to try to hunt them for ulterior motives, but whose absence will have serious consequences on habitat.

As I mentioned before, I would really like to see the Apex predators impact prey animal behavior. In Yellowstone, for example, the reintroduction of wolves changed the very shape of the river because in the absence of a major predator they grazed openly along the rivers. Once they had to hide again the balance of various different plants changed which in turn changed the population balance of many different animals. All because of a simple behavior difference as to where animals graze. Also, the reintroduction of wolves in the east coast actually increased deer populations - rather than decrease as people feared - because wolves tend to target the old or sick - individuals who cannot reproduce, but who consume resources. There are so many complex responses to the removal and reintroduction of just one specie.

• Beavers, yep the game needs beavers :)

• Goal 1: Prevent random changes in environment by killing all the animals that cause it.

I am a Wolf-Tier backer and a Volunteer on the forums helping out with Bug reports, Support and Moderation. I am not a StrangeLoopGames Employee / Developer.

I am the founder of DBM Hosting. High quality server hosting.

• Animals wouldn't randomly cause changes to their environment. It's specific. Furthermore? the removal of a species would be what changes the status quo.

• On a similar note:

Has anyone in the dev team seen this? It's quite a read, but a mathematical law describing predator-pray relashionship that's observable across the global seems ready made for this game.
    http://www.sciencemag.org/content/349/6252/aac6284

<blockquote>The predator-prey power law: Biomass scaling across terrestrial and aquatic biomes

A surprisingly general pattern at very large scales casts light on the link between ecosystem structure and function. We show a robust scaling law that emerges uniquely at the level of whole ecosystems and is conserved across terrestrial and aquatic biomes worldwide. This pattern describes the changing structure and productivity of the predator-prey biomass pyramid, which represents the biomass of communities at different levels of the food chain. Scaling exponents of the relation between predator versus prey biomass and community production versus biomass are often near ¾, which indicates that very different communities of species exhibit similar high-level structure and function. This recurrent community growth pattern is remarkably similar to individual growth patterns and may hint at a basic process that reemerges across levels of organization.</blockquote>

Views

Internal error.

Oops! Looks like something went wrong!