[Alpha 5.5.3] Crash after "converting world to new format"

• Hi,

We can't update our server to 5.5.3 version. Immediatly after "converting world to new format", the server crash :

Exception
    System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at Eco.World.WorldPlugin.<>c__DisplayClass16_0.<Run>b__0(PersistentChunk chunk)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.<>c__DisplayClass17_01.<ForWorker>b__1() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvokeWithArg(Task childTask) at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.<>c__DisplayClass176_0.<ExecuteSelfReplicating>b__0(Object ) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions) at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken) at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.ForWorker[TLocal](Int32 fromInclusive, Int32 toExclusive, ParallelOptions parallelOptions, Action1 body, Action2 bodyWithState, Func4 bodyWithLocal, Func1 localInit, Action1 localFinally)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.ForEachWorker[TSource,TLocal](IEnumerable1 source, ParallelOptions parallelOptions, Action1 body, Action2 bodyWithState, Action3 bodyWithStateAndIndex, Func4 bodyWithStateAndLocal, Func5 bodyWithEverything, Func1 localInit, Action1 localFinally)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.ForEach[TSource](IEnumerable1 source, ParallelOptions parallelOptions, Action1 body)
    at Eco.World.WorldPlugin.Run()
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(Object obj)
    ---> (Inner Exception #0) System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.<>c__DisplayClass17_0`1.<ForWorker>b__1()
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvokeWithArg(Task childTask)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.<>c__DisplayClass176_0.<ExecuteSelfReplicating>b__0(Object )<---

---> (Inner Exception #1) System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.<>c__DisplayClass176_0.<ExecuteSelfReplicating>b__0(Object )<---

---> (Inner Exception #2) System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

---> (Inner Exception #3) System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Views

• What version were you converting from?

Pam
    Community Moderator
    Discord: Pam#5439
    reddit moderator: rentechd
    https://discord.gg/Mg4WJe9

• @rentechd 5.5.1

• I am not understanding what the new format was I guess

Pam
    Community Moderator

• @rentechd humm, and so is there something we can do about this?

• I have no idea. I don't know of what you mean by converting the word to a new format. You should have just been able to update the server files and run the server and load the world - there is no conversion tool for 5.5.1 ....

Pam
    Community Moderator

• @rentechd It is the last action done in the server console before the server crash.

It is written "Converting world to new format". The progression goes from 0% to 100% for around one minute and then the server crash.

Note : There is also a converting format action in the server console when I tried to update the server to 5.5.2 (without crash).

• You install the updated files over the previous install and the start the server and this is something you see in the console on the first start up after installing the new files? I guess its something I have just not seen when starting up after installing new files. I am sure someone will explain it. For the heck of it I went and installed 5.5.1 over a 5.5 server, then installed 5.5.2 and then 5.5.3 (the world in that 5.5 server had been converted from a 5.4 world) but I did not see anything in the console about converting. I did get a dump file with exceptions like the ones you posted but the server did not crash so no crash log.

Have you tried renaming Archive.eco to Game.eco (saving the existing game.eco elsewhere in case the devs want to see it or you want to try using it again) and see if it will load the world then? Sometimes that will work if there is a corruption going on when the server starts up and writes the new world file. Otherwise you might want to see if the dev's want you to post that Game.eco that is failing so they can look at it and try and reproduce your problem.

Pam
    Community Moderator

• @rentechd I have managed to update successfully to 5.5.3 by updating first to 5.5.2.

And I can confirm that there is also a "Converting world to new format" when I was moving to 5.5.2, but no crash. And then after the update to 5.5.3 was good.

If the developer wants, I have kept the Game.eco from 5.5.1 version.

Views

Internal error.

Oops! Looks like something went wrong!