Server Crashed and Will No Longer Boot

• The server that I've been playing on with a bunch of others has experienced a crash and will no longer boot. The crash was odd in that the server continued to run, though unplayable, therefore backups continued to be made and are also broken.

The server was called Chiggaland, and you may have seen it on the list. Probably the most active server out of all of them, generally always having at least 5 or 6 people online, and sometimes 10 or more. We have a lot of very saddened players because of this.

The server admin gave me a copy of the server files so that I could try to diagnose the problem, but I'm coming up short. I noticed the crashes generated on his system were all about the initialization of a powered cart as seen in this dump:

--BEGIN DUMP--
    Dump Time
    02/26/2017 20:48:27

Exception
    System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at Eco.Mods.TechTree.PoweredCartObject.Initialize()
    at Eco.Gameplay.Objects.WorldObjectManager..ctor()
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
    at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
    at System.Activator.CreateInstanceT
    at Eco.Server.PluginManager.AddPluginT
    at Eco.Server.PluginManager.<.ctor>b__1_1()
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.WaitAll(Task[] tasks, Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    at Eco.Server.PluginManager..ctor()
    at Eco.Server.MainClass.Main(String[] args)
    ---> (Inner Exception #0) System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
    at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()<---

Inner Exception
    System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.WaitAll(Task[] tasks, Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    ---> (Inner Exception #0) System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()<---

--END DUMP--

When attempting to run the server on my own machine, I get an entirely different dump pertaining to something else entirely, although this may simply be due to a change of system. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

--BEGIN DUMP--
    Dump Time
    02/27/2017 15:57:40

Exception
    System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Exception: 5 Error(s) occurred when loading Layers
    at Eco.Core.Serialization.DataStore.LoadAsync[T](String folder, Action`2 createFunc)
    at Eco.WorldLayerSystem.WorldLayerManager..ctor()

Inner Exception
    System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Exception: 5 Error(s) occurred when loading Layers
    at Eco.Core.Serialization.DataStore.LoadAsync[T](String folder, Action`2 createFunc)
    at Eco.WorldLayerSystem.WorldLayerManager..ctor()

--END DUMP--

Myself and many other players would appreciate it if anyone knows how to fix this issue. Perhaps my access to the source code may prove useful?

Thanks,
    Lance

Views

• Hello,
    ive had this problem myself also on the server, i dont have a fix but do have a work-around if you fellows want to get your server back up.
    Try the back-up files the server made, if the first back up gives thes crash again after x minit try a older back-up,
    it hase something to do with the location of a cart in the world save and booting the server.
    so if the cart is not on the problem location you can atleast use your world again on the server.

Talk, Play, Laugh, Teach, Learn.

• Sadly I seen something like this before I think that group of people ended up wiping and starting fresh. I hope this does not happen to you guys.

• Hi Zaskersky. When you say use the backups, do we need to rename the file or how would we go about doing that? Thanks,

-Steve

• @Chiggins
    Hi there just awake so i did a fast copy paste from another topic where i did a short explanation in case you havent found it yet.

By default the eco server setings make a back-up every 30minits and keeps 5 back-ups you can adjust it to more or less save intervalts and more or less back-ups kept depending on your diskspace availible, if the host is not always 100% reliable, Copy the last back-up to another location online or on your local pc.

If you dont know how it works here is a short explanation/example.
    Default server map structure: \EcoServer_v0.5.4-alpha\Storage\Backup
    Copy the last newest file in backup to another save location, local or online, (example file name : 02-22-2017-12.37.40.eco)
    To restore your server from the back-up file. Copy the back-up file to,
    \EcoServer_v0.5.4-alpha\Storage

And rename the file to: Game.eco

Your server save file is restored, even after wiping a server just make sure to have a back-up file stored and keep it up to date.

Greetings Zaskersky,

Talk, Play, Laugh, Teach, Learn.

• IT LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you very much. The folks that have been on this server will be super pumped. A+++

Views

Internal error.

Oops! Looks like something went wrong!