Tailing

• I hate when people put tailings in chest. I feel like that defeats the whole point of tailings and the pollution they cause. Can this be prevented in the future?

Views

• Yea there are plans to prevent that in the future and make something else people can use as far as i know. I cant remember what johns plans are tough right now.

• Isn't that what we do with actual toxic waste? Okay, maybe not a wooden chest, but if we're trying to protect the environment we don't just dump it raw into a hole in the ground. Maybe improper storage containers should leak. If I have a hundred tailings packed in a chest I think it should pollute the surrounding area much more, and at a faster rate, than the two tailings which would take up the same space if left in the open. Trying to cut corners by concentrating it that way could actually be worse than leaving it exposed in a sprawling heap, but if you put in the effort to store it in something more difficult to manufacture, like a steel barrel perhaps, you'd be rewarded for good stewardship and be able to take advantage of that convenience.

• @Hawk said:

Isn't that what we do with actual toxic waste? Okay, maybe not a wooden chest, but if we're trying to protect the environment we don't just dump it raw into a hole in the ground. Maybe improper storage containers should leak. If I have a hundred tailings packed in a chest I think it should pollute the surrounding area much more, and at a faster rate, than the two tailings which would take up the same space if left in the open. Trying to cut corners by concentrating it that way could actually be worse than leaving it exposed in a sprawling heap, but if you put in the effort to store it in something more difficult to manufacture, like a steel barrel perhaps, you'd be rewarded for good stewardship and be able to take advantage of that convenience.

Ya, but also keep in mind in game you get 2 tailing + for each iron bar you get. 1 tailing is 1 block of dirt/ore. So you get more out of it than what you put in.
    In RL, it's super freaking hard to get enough dirt or whatever when you're melting metal. Also you can put it in the ground without any real problems (this is giving you're not putting a ton of it in the ground).

But ya, in RL there is things out there to clean the dirt (it takes about 15 min). Then you have stuff like nuclear sites where they are waiting for the radiation to give out.

• Your supposed to make a hole in stone for the tailings, because stone doesn't spread pollution. Also it's one block of ore, one block of coal, so two blocks of waste make sense, to me at least. And wouldn't cleaning the tailings pollute the water like crazy?

• @donald12999 said:

Your supposed to make a hole in stone for the tailings, because stone doesn't spread pollution. Also it's one block of ore, one block of coal, so two blocks of waste make sense, to me at least. And wouldn't cleaning the tailings pollute the water like crazy?

I know what you're meant to do. Also you can put burnt coal right into the ground. Coal is just carbon, and it isn't going to really harm the area. In fact, many times it helps the plants.
    But what you burn to melt down the stuff being burnt doesn't touch the actually stuff being melted. What is being melted down is in a thing. There is some back in the stone age that doesn't use a cup, but you lose more metal that way.
    (Note burning large amounts of coal is bad for the air, but not ground. But in this game it looks at the device, and not the material being burnt.)

The cleaning the tail. The answer to that is no. I can't find it, but dirty jobs did a show a few years back where they clean the dirt with a machine. It basically heats up the dirt to super high temps, it then runs it down a barrel washing it. Most of the stuff burns off, so you can just filter the water and reuse it in the process. What comes out is pure dirt (carbon, and whatever else is in dirt).
    This is used if their is toxic spills or something in an area.

Views

Internal error.

Oops! Looks like something went wrong!