Some notes on my own game play....needs work.

• Okay so I have played this game for the last two days. It has it's own charm and the graphics are quite nice. However I beg to ask the question did you even get outside and actually do this stuff devs? Did you actually study what are the realistic standards and what are game standards? Why ask these two questions? Well fairly simple, either you have never actually done any of these things or you want a really unbalance and boring game to boot. Let me explain in the only way I can...bullet point format.

1. The weights are so very unrealistic so much so that a pile seed weighs more than a bison does. Frankly speaking this doesn't compute to me as a bag of seeds here in the US weighs about half and oz. and a bison weighs 1200 lbs.

2. Devs have you ever shoveled dirt in game or real life? I think I can fairly say you did not as you are more than able to make us carry more than one pile of dirt. I could understand six piles but one? You're nuts! Try giving us bags or buckets to carry the damn stuff.

3. Another point to cross on is WHY CAN'T WE BLOODY RUN!? Do you know how fast those damn animals are or the fact we have to cross a map to just shovel sand of all things!? It's irritating when I can't run down an animal because I have to walk.

4. Animals oh glorious animals, who I can't catch and need multiples of. Your bunnies are bullets, your bison are derptastic getting stuck on me and walls, elk are just as bad as the bunnies, and then if that's not bad enough the animals have pulled hundi's on me from jumping over buildings to jumping up six walls of dirt that's a sheer cliff. Do us a favor and please go look up animal behavior so you can see how things actually work. Also how hunters hunt them down PLEASE! Oh and let's not forget your bow has too much of an arch and if you make a head shot the animal should be dead end of story. You need to center the bow better or put in a sight device.

5. Let me ask a question begging from an earlier statement. How weak do you want the players to be? Cause I know I can carry in real life more than 20 kg. In real life I can carry up to 45 kg comfortably even with my health issues. Children are known to carry more than that in their school backpacks from time to time. As you go along in the game you should have the ability to be able to carry more the more work you put in. If you sit around and do nothing yeah you shouldn't be able to carry as much.

6. I think you also need to be able to gain experience when working on things instead of having to log off and gain it that way on the server. Realistically and Game standards you do nothing you get nothing. If you do things you get lots of experience. Seriously it's not rocket science.

7. Now the next thing on my list is time. Time is everything in our world and the game world but in this ECO world it's worse than bad. I've lost words for how boring, tedious, and frustrating this game is. Having to wait for enough skill points to open up a skill I should've already had. Then if that wasn't bad enough I have to wait for longer periods just to get an advance skill. I might as well put the game down now and leave for a week because I'm not able to even play for the first twenty four hours cause I can't do anything.

I think I have touched on enough for the moment. Personally I love games and given this is an alpha game I get that you want the game to be balanced. However, in having the balanced intentions you have made the game so cruel to the players that most will either get bored and leave or they will tell their friends that the game isn't very good. The logic of this statement is if they tell one friend it isn't good likely eleven more will agree so you have lost in total twelve people as future game players. The fact you have this many issues with a game that is in alpha makes me question if you wanted to make a game or if you just wanted to take money from the players that have undoubtedly supported you through the rough times. Is that really how you want to be seen? For now this is all I have on the subject and if people dislike it well that's their problem not mine. I'm not going to sugar coat something I plainly see.

Views

• @OniShouten said:

1. The weights are so very unrealistic so much so that a pile seed weighs more than a bison does. Frankly speaking this doesn't compute to me as a bag of seeds here in the US weighs about half and oz. and a bison weighs 1200 lbs.

The weights of objects are always being tweaked and a number of changes to the way carried items are handled have shifted these values over time; you did happen to pick out the largest one by far, though. All of the animal carcasses have a low weight because, when they were added, we were unsure if we wanted to force them as a carried item and we really wanted to test butchery as an intermediary skill between hunting and food production. If we decide that this is indeed the way we want to continue with hunting, you can be sure that bison won’t weigh less than a seed.

1. Devs have you ever shoveled dirt in game or real life? I think I can fairly say you did not as you are more than able to make us carry more than one pile of dirt. I could understand six piles but one? You're nuts! Try giving us bags or buckets to carry the damn stuff.

I can’t say I’ve shovelled a ton of dirt in my life (maybe a bit for landscaping), but I’d be amazed if anyone could carry a single cubic meter of dirt either in hand, on their back, or really any way that isn’t using some mechanical help. As with any game, there is a bit of disbelief that must be suspended and you can’t always take realism over fun, but in this case the idea that each block of dirt maintains its “space” can add a real sense of accomplishment to construction projects and enhance the need for transportation and cooperation. Being able to shovel more than one block of dirt is definitely a real possibility, but it’s unlikely it’ll be massive amounts (think a max of 10 like logs). Movement of these materials can be aided through said transportation (carts, etc) and is something we’re continually working on bugfixing. In the future we’ll be looking to store all blocks in a stockpile-like area that takes up actual space as opposed to the magical-space-creating chests we currently have.

1. Another point to cross on is WHY CAN'T WE BLOODY RUN!? Do you know how fast those damn animals are or the fact we have to cross a map to just shovel sand of all things!? It's irritating when I can't run down an animal because I have to walk.

2. Animals oh glorious animals, who I can't catch and need multiples of. Your bunnies are bullets, your bison are derptastic getting stuck on me and walls, elk are just as bad as the bunnies, and then if that's not bad enough the animals have pulled hundi's on me from jumping over buildings to jumping up six walls of dirt that's a sheer cliff. Do us a favor and please go look up animal behavior so you can see how things actually work. Also how hunters hunt them down PLEASE! Oh and let's not forget your bow has too much of an arch and if you make a head shot the animal should be dead end of story. You need to center the bow better or put in a sight device.

I do agree you move fairly slowly. I don’t agree that you should be able to catch animals; even Usain Bolt wouldn’t be able to catch an Elk in a foot chase. Hunting needs a look at and animal’s movement can’t be annoying erratic, but the actual speed of the player isn’t really the issue here. As you’ve stated, the movement for animals is currently not great. Running up cliffs? You’re right, they shouldn’t do that. If there was a checkbox that said “Animals can’t run up cliffs” you can be sure I’d check that box right away. Unfortunately it isn’t always that simple.

1. Let me ask a question begging from an earlier statement. How weak do you want the players to be? Cause I know I can carry in real life more than 20 kg. In real life I can carry up to 45 kg comfortably even with my health issues. Children are known to carry more than that in their school backpacks from time to time. As you go along in the game you should have the ability to be able to carry more the more work you put in. If you sit around and do nothing yeah you shouldn't be able to carry as much.

Changing carry weight is definitely something we’re talking about.

1. I think you also need to be able to gain experience when working on things instead of having to log off and gain it that way on the server. Realistically and Game standards you do nothing you get nothing. If you do things you get lots of experience. Seriously it's not rocket science.

2. Now the next thing on my list is time. Time is everything in our world and the game world but in this ECO world it's worse than bad. I've lost words for how boring, tedious, and frustrating this game is. Having to wait for enough skill points to open up a skill I should've already had. Then if that wasn't bad enough I have to wait for longer periods just to get an advance skill. I might as well put the game down now and leave for a week because I'm not able to even play for the first twenty four hours cause I can't do anything.

You don’t have to log off to get skill points; it happens even when you’re online. That isn’t really the point you were trying to make, but I just thought I should point it out as a potential misunderstanding. Regarding the meat of this point: an important aspect of the game is allowing players who cannot dedicate as much time to game as others can still contribute to a community’s success. Someone who can only manage an hour of gameplay every other day shouldn’t feel useless when playing with a group of people who can play dozens in the same timeframe. We may add a way to improve skills (mainly labor) through use, but right now it doesn’t quite fit perfectly. As with most things, server owners always have a the choice of increasing the multiplier for skills, etc to speed things up if their players really want an accelerated experience.

As you said yourself, the game is in alpha. And because it’s in alpha we’re constantly making large changes to systems that are already in place to ensure that we create something that is both engaging and educational; sometimes this can cause older things to act wonky, become irrelevant, or break entirely. These changes don’t always work exactly as planned and we don’t always catch everything that didn’t go 100% right but that’s why we really appreciate all feedback.

• Ecoylent is not intended to replace every meal, but it can replace any meal

• @craig.jong said:
    Regarding the meat of this point: an important aspect of the game is allowing players who cannot dedicate as much time to game as others can still contribute to a community’s success. Someone who can only manage an hour of gameplay every other day shouldn’t feel useless when playing with a group of people who can play dozens in the same timeframe.

That is for us the most important thing we having so much fun playing the game. In our community we have many older people with jobs and family and they have not so much time then other students power gamers.

We really like the system as it is.

Regards
    Desiderius
    www.fh-warzone.de

• Wow someone here has never been in an Alpha build game before. Entertaining though keep playing the part of the more informed, it makes for a laughing read.

FYI the devs are well aware of these issues, the game is just up and running.

Take your arrogance elsewhere please.

• In Minecraft You can carry dozen whole trees or a small mountain in Your backpack. What's the big deal? :D

• I do thank the dev for answering quickly, efficiently, and in a kind manner. Given when I made this post I was a bit upset because of the fact when I played alphas I did not nearly have this many issues in games as I've had in this game. I VERY WELL KNOW THIS IS AN ALPHA! I also have to note other players being cute for answering in such an odd manner and perhaps I may not be "well informed" as most players are it does not mean I haven't been in an alpha game before. Next time before making such notes please read. As I said before I do thank the dev for answering me and I haven't be able to get on until now to reply.

P.S. Next time @Serecyn you want to call arrogance I ask that you keep the comment to yourself. I did not ask for a white knight to come to my posting and I did not appreciate the comment. If the dev didn't like the post they could've simply taken it off. Thanks for your concern though as you seem to be quite intelligent enough to be the pot that calls the kettle black.

• Well then next time arrange your sentences in a less toxic manner.

You sat there typing away as if you were some kinda expert at programming or garhering the data needed for more accurate game play. I simply brought you back down from whatever high horse you were attemptjng to troll through here with.

I never bash developers in alpha stage games as there are a myriad of unseen or unexpected hiccups they get beaten down with. Then there's the playtesters like you who talk to them as if you could do it better even though it's clearly unfinished.

Spare me the atypical BS line of me being the interloper for calling you out, it solves nothing.

Your points are valid, your method of conveying them aren't. Simple as that. Gove them critical and honest feedback not BS millenial crap like "Did you even do the research?" Yes arrogant with an F word in front.

• @Serecyn I am conveying how I feel as an opinion as you are doing now. Like I said before if they didn't like my feedback they could remove my posting but as said they did not. I am a play tester and as such I do not like sugar coating my words when clearly I do not have to. If you don't like them white knight you can take your own words elsewhere. I'm allowed to say how I feel as well since I'm not a robot. Trolling is the last thing this was meant to do. So do yourself a flavor and "Spare me the atypical BS line" No one asked you to be in my posting. This conversation was an A and B conversation between adults now C your way out child.

• I feel comments her are getting very toxic here .. So be nice or i have to take actions.

Also Everyone can say how they feel about the game. If some one does not like that you only can carry one block and think that sucks your welcome to give us feedback. We encourage every feedback as long its written factual without swearword. The same goes for comments .. But when thinks like here get more and more toxic its not ok .. that goes for everyone .. @Serecyn you have been warned already once by me!

Fighting and any way of having a toxic discussions is nothing we want .. it scares people away from giving there honest opinion.
    I don't want to see anyone being called a child etc here. If comments lack respect than this defeats the purpose of the forums here.

• Also if there is any form of trolling or flaming or garbage spamming here pm me and i fix a that asap.

Views

Internal error.

Oops! Looks like something went wrong!