Destroyer of World Tier

• Does anyone else think that $750 for a game feature is a bit high? I mean the $1000+ tiers are all things like "Meet the developers in Seattle" or "Add a new animal" non of which would directly affect gameplay. However the $750 tier does affect gameplay and has the potential to turn the game into a "I have the doomsday device because I had the money and now I rule the server" type of game. Before this tier the most expensive tier that had an effect was the $250 and $400 taming tiers, but even those didn't have as much of an effect of gameplay as the $750 does. Does anyone else think $750 for a game feature is too much? I mean I get everyone wants Eco to reach the 200k stretch goal, but is this the way to do it?

Views

• @iramos15 "I'm just saying if it consumed your key, that would be ridiculous."

That's not how steamCMD works, steamcmd connects to your own steam account and looks if you own the game in order to download and update the server software. It doesn't consume keys etc, it just looks for the permission.

I am a Wolf-Tier backer and a Volunteer on the forums helping out with Bug reports, Support and Moderation. I am not a StrangeLoopGames Employee / Developer.

I am the founder of DBM Hosting. High quality server hosting.

• i worry that anyone with a backer icon will be hazed as a potential destroyer of worlds.

• @SketchBookGames The reward is scrapped

I am a Wolf-Tier backer and a Volunteer on the forums helping out with Bug reports, Support and Moderation. I am not a StrangeLoopGames Employee / Developer.

I am the founder of DBM Hosting. High quality server hosting.

• also if i made the doomsday object i would put it up for sale in the shop lol

• Well, that was quite a rollercoaster :) We'll explore the design ideas through development, and it gives us a lot more freedom to not have it tied to a high paid tier with expectations. We'll find some other way to implement it in a limited fashion. Player-as-villain will still be a part of the game, we'll work on it as we go.

• Thanks @JohnK for the comment. I think that is a great idea!

• Ironic if you think about it: Those who seek the path to destruction only find their own ;)

I think there are many other ways to implement destruction, such as sabotaging a nuclear reactor and triggering a nuclear winter, or building a weapon that either accelerates or draws in meteors. It would be especially interesting if you allowed people to build hidden underground lairs that make tracking the location more difficult so the evil masterminds can have their find laughing maniacally... alone.

The only thing that concerned me was this possibility: A Troll rigs a deadman switch to their body. Threatens to doom the world if they don't get to be dictator. So either the players give in or watch the world burn. In such a scenario giving players a way out (specifically when the villain delays in pressing the button) would be helpful. Maybe a delay counter like in all those classic movies. So other players get to be James Bond or Austin Powers or something along those lines.

• There is one thing i wondering about "Destroyer of world" people, what will happend if, let's say, 2/3 of the population want to bring down the world? if you think of EVE where everyone want or "have to" become a vilain. Lot of player (including myself) have left the game because of difficulty that too much pirate bring to it.

Will there be a way to "ease" the game or else if there is too much people who want to bring down the world?
    Maybe not for some first game, but when we collect some players profile, who help to know how many good and vilain we have to deal with...

• @Magellus That is a very good point. It's actually one of the main reasons why I feel that law breaking is a good idea. If the majority of players are evil they will naturally vote to create an evil society. In such a scenario the criminals are the good guys living in a dystopia. That's all the more reason why the ability to break the law should be balanced against the ability to uphold it.

What would be interesting is if a society of trolls begins to learn how to investigate criminals to bring them to "justice". Once they become "the man" and organize they cease to be agents of chaos. Sure, their goal is destruction, but it becomes ordered destruction. Learning what it's like to uphold order would be a good learning experience for seasoned trolls. If they fail to destroy the world they will feel the knowing that they didn't get to be part of the criminal element.

Views

Internal error.

Oops! Looks like something went wrong!